UC Migration

qwertyqwerty
qwertyqwerty Community member Posts: 28 Connected
edited September 14 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hi I could really do with advice. I recently received a migration letter and am going to be changing over sometime this month. My partner is on ESA (Support Group) and I am on Carers Allowance as our son is on DLA. What should I expect now? My partner has very bad anxiety which results in me having to do everything for him, phone calls, appointments etc so this really concerns me. I also care for my elderly parents so I’m a little concerned at how I’m going to find the time to attend appointments. Do these appointments last long? What are they for? Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing

Hi,

The first thing you have to do is start the claim online by filling out the forms. They're all quite straightforward but do take some time. You can choose to do them at a time to suit you.

Are you currently the appointee for your partner? Or do they manage their own claim? You can be the appointee on UC if they are unable to manage their claim.

One appointment will be to verify their ID. The preferred method for this is a visit to the Job Centre. But if that is not possible, they can also do it by home visit. If that is also not possible, you may be able to take ID on their behalf, but they may ask for additional criteria such as extra ID for yourself and a photo of the claimant with their ID.

The other appointment is to confirm commitments. It is possible to do both at the same time. Or do that part online without the need for another visit.

As your partner is currently in the ESA support group, they do not need to get a fit note or attend another work capability assessment. They will be automatically placed in the LCWRA group from the start of the claim. They will not be expected to look for work, and the only commitment is that they will check the online journal regularly and declare any changes to their situation as soon as possible. This is a standard commitment that everyone has to agree to.

If you receive housing costs, that was previously done through the local authority but that also gets migrated across to UC and becomes known as housing element in most cases.

Moving on to your Carers Allowance, this is where it gets a bit more complex and I do not have any direct experience. Usually couples have to make separate UC claims which then get joined together to form one joint claim. From your first post, I am unsure if you are also currently receiving any other legacy benefits which would be migrated to UC. As far as I understand, Carers Allowance gets deducted from UC, so it may be redundant to claim both. There is a carers element that can be claimed with UC.

Hopefully that all makes sense and I'm sorry I don't have any better advice regarding your carers allowance. Another member may be able to offer better advice there.

• qwertyqwerty
    qwertyqwerty Community member Posts: 28 Connected

Hi, in terms of benefits we get

DLA for child,
    CA,
    ESA for partner,
    Housing benefit,
    Child Benefit,
    Child Tax,

this is the bit that’s confused me as you’ve said and people on google searches also, one minute it’s separate claims and join together and the next it is a joint claim from the get go. I’m baffled. No I’m not his appointee BUT I do deal with everything on his behalf we just never have to deal with ESA other than assessments.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing

Thanks for confirming those.

The migration to UC will replace ESA, housing benefit and child tax credits.

Child DLA, child benefit and carers allowance will all remain as they were for now.

I have just double checked the .Gov site, and that confirms that couples need to start separate claims before they can be joined.

How to claim if you live with a partner

You’ll both need to claim Universal Credit if you live with your partner in the same household and are:

• married to each other
    • civil partners of each other
    • living together as if you are married

You must make a joint claim for your household, even if your partner is not eligible for Universal Credit. You cannot claim by yourself.

To begin, both of you need to create your own Universal Credit online accounts. The first person to create their account will receive a partner code, which will be displayed on screen.

Your partner will then need to use this code when they create their Universal Credit online account. This ensures the accounts are joined together and you are correctly claiming as a couple.

Once you’ve created your account you can make a claim for Universal Credit.

• Agulu
    Agulu Community member Posts: 142 Empowering

I have a question, migration, how does it look in the university? Married couple, older, children already big, he works part-time, but she has never worked, housewife, will the UC want to send her to work? he can get by with this part-time, he has some records in the general practitioner, so it should get by, but she has nothing, any advice

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

If she has no reason not to work such as a child under 3, lcw/lcwra or carer responsibilities, she will be asked to lok for work @Agulu. Is she studying at university or is he?

• Agulu

she's my future mother-in-law, no, and that's where the problem is, because she's never worked, I suspect she doesn't have a national insurance number either, because she definitely doesn't have an open account

• Biblioklept

That will make it very hard for her to claim if she doesn't have a national insurance number, I think everyone is giving one just before they turn 16 even if they've never worked

• Biblioklept

If she's claimed child benefit for the children then she should have a natinal insurance number as she will be getting national insurance credits, unless it's in the father's name

• Agulu

I made mistake, translate in Google, some time come out strange things, shut by UC,universal credit, he works part time