I need my own adapted flat. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need my own adapted flat.

Stuart1956
Stuart1956 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone, I am Stuart and live in Greenwich South East London and have been living here as a 'Live-in Carer' for a young man of 33, ( by the way I am nearly 61) who is Epileptic Autistic has behaviour issues and learning difficulties. I have been his carer for the past 14 years but now, my own health has turned for the worst. I have COPD & Cardiomyopathy so my lungs & heart are affected and my Mobility is reduced severely. I have been awarded PIP and other benefits and also have a Blue Badge for my car. Due to my age and health issues, I am having to think about giving up being a Carer and moving on as this flat that I have been living in for the past 14 years is in fact  his and not mine. I need to be housed in a ground floor property with a wet room and have access to disabled parking close by. I have tried everything with Greenwich Council but they just tell me to keep 'bidding' on properties that are available on-line every Wednesday. So far, I have been 'bidding' for the past 6 years to no avail. I have the Social Services on  stand-by for if and when I do relinquish my duties and successfully obtain my own place. I have been told there is an 8 year waiting list and then it may not be suitable for my needs. Any help would be appreciated.   

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stuart1956 welcome to the community.  It sounds like you are having a really stressful time.  

There is lots of information here about housing that might be of help, including links to Shelter who provide free, confidential advice to people with all kinds of housing problems through online housing information, helpline and face-to-face services.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Stuart1956

What band are you in on the bidding system?

Have you ever been in touch with Greenwich Association of Disabled People (GAD), I wonder if they might be able to advise you locally?
    Age UK Bromley and Greenwich might also be able to provide you with some local advice too.

8 years sounds about right for London but let me know what Band you're in and we can look at whether that is the correct band.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Stuart1956
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Debbie_Scope I have just checked my paper work and I am Band 'C' which I presume is of no priority.

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @Stuart1956, I assume that you've provided the council with a letter from your Doctor but am wondering if this was how you were 6 years ago and maybe needs bringing up to date to get you into a higher Band? Have you had an assessment by the social services of your care needs? This should also help you to be seen as more of a priority than you are now.. 
  • Stuart1956
    I have had an assessment of my care needs and get help with payment for a cleaning lady to come in once a week which is a God send. I have filled in a medical form ages ago with my condition explained and have given my GP's details but my 'Banding' has remained the same as if there were no medical issues.
  • Stuart1956
    edited August 2017
    @Debbie_Scope thank you for the info, I have just sent a detailed email to GAD and await a reply when they can so will see if they can help. Thank you for the info Debbie.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @Stuart1956, I don't think councils contact GP's for information it would be up to you to get your Doctor to write a letter which you would then give or send to the council. This is what I did in 2010 to move from a short term private rental to a council bungalow. Granted we are not in London. 
  • Stuart1956
    @wildlife thank you for that info but I seem to recollect that this was done in my first application to obtain a bidding number.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited August 2017

Hi @Debbie_Scope I have just checked my paper work and I am Band 'C' which I presume is of no priority.

I've tried to look up Greenwich Council's housing policy this morning but their website is down for maintenance. I suspect that Band C is a lower priority banding but I will confirm this once I've managed to get on the website and look at the policy.

Have you had an Occupational Therapist's assessment at the property? This is often a really good way of assessing if there are any aids or adaptations that can be done in your current home and if the property isn't suitable they can send a report to the council about what type of housing would be suitable for you. It's becoming quite common for council's to not give much weight to GP's letter these days and in some areas GP's won't even write housing letters because they don't carry any weight. An OT Assessment is preferred so this could be the route to follow.
    I'm really glad you've got in touch with GAD and I hope that they are able to support you with your housing. Hopefully they will have very good local knowledge of the housing situation in your area. I think there could be potential to have your band reviewed if it has been some years since you were placed into band C. I can't make any promises but there are things here to explore. 

Let me know how you get on with all this and good luck!

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness