Hi, my name is chivchiv! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is chivchiv!

Options
chivchiv
chivchiv Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Just joined and happy to be sign-posted anywhere

I have very recently been allocated a lovely ground floor flat but unfortunately due to Cancer two years ago and a slow healing major surgery wound not able to spring up and down step-ladders to re-decorate, (used too).

Very frustrating when you want your new home refreshed.

I have been awarded HIGH PIP mobility but not deemed disabled as further surgery should rectify my condition. Cancer eradicated, thankfully.

Would welcome comments or contributions on maintaining life at a steady keel after life changing illness

CHIVCHIVXX

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Welcome to the community @chivchiv

Try contacting your landlord, they may have a scheme to help with odd jobs like a bit of painting. I live on a tenant managed estate and when our council discontinued this service I was the chair and so suggested we provide this service for the elderly and disabled on the estate. Working with our main contractor we will decorate one room each year. Long term it has worked well for us as it has reduced our costs when bringing a home up to standard when it becomes void.

If your landlord doesn't do it there may be a local charity which may help, though there may be a cost to it.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• chivchiv
    Options
    Thank you Geonark, I'm in local authority Social Housing who do issue £110s worth of B&Q vouchers for paint, brushes etc. 
    A good friend/painter and decorator preparing the bedroom and after a few tantrums swooshed about sanding down,etc. While I made it to B&Q with the reluctant help of on of the floor assistants I gathered paint/brushes etc. 
    Suddenly, I had the URGENT need for a toilet, B&Q don't have toilets so with great difficulty I went out into the High Street to find a loo in greasy spoon cafe. Back to B&Q to complete my shop, home delivery ensured oh no! Only with goods totalling £250 can free delivery be offered  or else costs £25.delivery be offered and NO PAINT Health and Safety.!! Left the stacked trolley and exited the grim hall of this multi national. Beware B&Q. Any one else had a similar experience or did the opposite happen? 

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi chivchiv,

sorry to hear what happened. My best suggestion, if you don't have someone who can take you and bring the items back,  is to contact your housing officer/neighbourhood officer (or whatever they might be called now) and explain what happened and ask if they have any suggestions. A lot will depend what help is available and the individual. If they are not able to help then ask if there is a disability officer you can talk to.

There is a greater understanding that getting a suitable home is not the end of helping someone with disabilities and additional help is sometimes required. Hopefully there will be some flexibility in helping you to get the decorating done.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• chivchiv
    Options
    What an excellent idea Geopark, I don't think I want the same experience twice at B&Q including the lack of toilet facility which is a complete nonsense. 
    My local authority is paying B&Q, I expect quite a sum of money in the voucher scheme. 
    I will e-mail my Housing Officer tomorrow as I think they need to at least know what a challenge using the vouchers is for some.
    Of course, I could take a cab but there may again be the health and safety aspect of driving paint around. Its the unloading and carrying at the home end.
    Thanks again for your interest and suggestion, it is not until you really are unable to do does it sink in how few facilities are available or those who have no family or willing, drop of a hat friends.
    So, 'no woe is me' as pleased to have found this site.

CHIVCHIVXX

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi Chivchiv,

Welcome to the community!

Do the vouchers work online? I'm not sure if this is any better (is your order consider "bulk"?).

It's a shame they've restricted you to using B&Q!

Good luck emailing your Housing Officer.

Brightness