P.I.P Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

P.I.P Assessment

Options
Tricia1
Tricia1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
I am new on the site so please forgive any mistakes. I have very bad epilepsy My consultant changed my medication and made me worse. I have been in and out of the hospital for the last then 3 years.Then I went for my P.I.P assessment

We live in Chesterfield but we had to go to Sheffield. I cannot walk without aids. Got from car park to Centre went into assessment after 20 mlns waiting. My letter had informed me I would be in for assessment upto 60 mins I was in for 2 and 1/4 hours not even offered a drink. A lot of the questions seemed like trick questions. For instance I was asked if I could find my way to local shop I replied I very rarely go because my daughter shops for me. I am not allowed to drive. but he said but if you had to, could you walk there. I replied only with my aid and holding onto someone, I would have to stop for breath. He them asked if I could walk round Tesco I was totally confused I replied, it depends how big it was. He said a small one I said if it was a very small one and only with help 

Later I asked for of a copy of the assessers report. Always ask for a copy of this He had wrote Patient can walk around Tesco. Another question was what are your hobbies. I said I did not really have any now. I used to love reading I cannot watch TV because I cannot stand the noise i have constant headaches. I listen to a little radio, and read my Kindle paperwhite for 10 mins occasionally on full text. I cannot wear my glasses because i broke my nose in my last seizure so they make my headaches worse.

I also said I cannot read the newspaper because I cannot see the print He asked why I did not get an aid ie a magnifing glass. I said I have a bad hand tremor in both hands I had sent my cunsultants reports to them, also I liked helping my daughter with the clues of her crosswords
On the assessers report it stated I read my Kindle, sometimes used a magnifying glass, read the paper and likes to do crosswords.

They then sent me a letter stating I was awarded no D.L.A, but awarded standard Mobility When we inspected the letter carefully I had been awarded 16 points for Living Allowance and 10 Mobility I had to ask the Citizians Advice to help. They agreed the letter was a mistake but without their help we still could not have ploughed though

I eventually got my award after several telephone calls mainly that they promised and did not furfill. One piece of important thing I would say is get a copy of your assessment

Good luck everyone
Tricia1

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tricia1 and welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing your story and pleased to hear you managed to get it sorted out in the end.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Tricia1 This is a story we hear so often. Many of us have suffered similar fates. At least you were given the points you deserved and only had to get the mistake on your letter sorted out. I have spent the last 3 months fighting to get my award increased to what it should have been from the evidence I supplied. You may want to forget what happened but if you still feel you've been cheated by the false statements on your report you could make a formal compliant to the assessment company. Many people are doing this to try and get things changed and stop others having to suffer. Anyhow pleased you got it sorted out in the end.  
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tricia1 thanks for sharing your story, unfortunately it is one we hear often. 

Have you looked at the PIP category here? You can connect with lots of other members in a similar situation, please do jump in and get involved. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.