asd — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

asd

catsybabe
catsybabe Community member Posts: 11 Listener

hi violet my son was diagnosed with asd adhd aspergers but he has fears and phobias attatched I say my son has a mental health disorder because of his traits and weaknesses he is now 21  and its got harder instead of easier for him aspergers is a mental health condition in it self  and hes up for a pip appeal in the next few weeks I'm standing in for him as a power of attourney because he wont be able to do it .  is there anything I need or specific advice that I need to point out to the panel - ive lived with my sons conditions he was born with it the school made adaptions  and was clinically assessed  and the dwp hAVE SAID ALOT OF THINGS THAT ARE UNTRUE TO SWAY THE DECISSION MAKING NOT TO AWARD MY SON PIP

THEY DONT SEE HIS MELTDOWNS THEY ARE NOT HER EWHEN HE PUNCHES THINGS AND HEADBUTS THINGS  BUT THEY DIDNT GIVE YOU AN INDTRUCTION MAUALL WHEN HE WASDIAGNOSED YOU HAD TO FIND THESE THINGS OUT FOR YOUR SELF AND FOR A REGISTERED NURSE TO COME IN AND SAY DIFFERENT  ITS WRONG

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi@catsybabe, My son went through this in 2011. He went to a f2f assessment and was awarded 0 points. He went with an advocate who didn't really know him. I became his appointee and went to a tribunal with him and he came out with 47 points. He has LD and we think he has Asberges but will not engage with Doctors. Anyhow hopefully your son will have the decision over ruled. Having a diagnosis is a big plus. Whilst waiting for the Appeal I worked to get together as much evidence as I could but very little was medical evidence. They will accept anything that contains information about your son and how his condition affects him. You can write your own description of his meltdowns and send it in. This will make it easier as they'll already have looked at it before you go in. My son's appeal was decided with paperwork alone even though we both went in person. They know the assessors are not being truthful so don't worry about that but providing a good argument with references to what was written in the assessor's report will be a must. You can also make a complaint to the assessment company ATOS/CAPITA which would help your case although the panel will be concentrating on the facts it may help for them to know you don't accept the untruths written about your son. The PIP system needs changing it's not working atm. Good Luck I'm sure you'll be fine.     
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @catsybabe and welcome to the forum. I think @wildlife has more or less got this covered! I definitely agree re pulling together as much paper-based evidence as possible - it makes all the difference, especially as working through things in advance helps with remembering to put every last little bit of information in. It's so easy to forget relevant things in the pressure of an 'interview'. You know him better than anyone else and it sounds like you'll be the perfect advocate for him - be prepared to stand your ground and have copies of everything that you want to talk about so that you don't forget anything. Good luck - and let us know how you get on! 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope
  • catsybabe
    catsybabe Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    THANKS VIOLET SINCE I HAVE HAD A LETTER FROM MY GP - DEFINING MY SONS CONDITION AND GIVES EVIDENCE THAT HE HAS A MENTAL HEALTH CONDITION WHEN THE ASSESSOR STATED HE DID NOT . IM HOPING THAT THIS WILL OVERTURN THE DECISSION NOW BUT I AM WELL PREPARED FOR COURT BECAUSE IT WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE TO SAY WHAT IS NOT TRUE AND WHAT IS TRUE - VERBALLY AND NOT IN A LETTER BUT THE COURT HAS WRITTEN OUT TO ME TO SAY THAT THE APPEAL HAS STARTED NOW I HAVE TO GO TO CITIZENS ADVICE TO START THE BALL ROLLING AND PUTTING INTO CONTEXT WHAT I WISH TO SAY TO THE COURT CITIZENS ADVICE THEY ARE ACTING AS MY REPRESENTATIVES BUT DEFFINATELEY I WILL GET BACK IN CONTACT WITH YOU I REPORTED MY CAS TO CAPITA - AND THEY WROTE BACK AND SAID THAT ITS NOT A CLINICAL ASSESSMENT - AND DOES NOT FOCUS ON MEDICAL INFORMATION THE FOCUS OF THE ASSESSMENT IS ON IMPACT ND THE DA  DID NOT CONSIDER MY SON SUPPORTING EVIDENCE PROVIDED BY HEALTH CARE PROFFESSIONALS  - SO THIS MIGHT BE HANDY TO KNOW WHEN ANYBODY GOES THROUGH AN ASSESSMENT .  we send in medical evidence for a reason if they are not going to look at it or take it into consideration (that's why people don't bother ending in information and don't bother fighting their corner )but I will be taking the capita letter to court with me also to say that the da did not take the medical evidence into consideration .
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Well that all sounds MUCH more positive! Sometimes it's a case of reminding the powers that be that they do have certain obligations and they have to stick to them. We shouldn't have to do it, but it does often work. Good luck!

Violet 
    ASD Advisor, Scope

Brightness