Discrimination or not? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination or not?

ibartlett
ibartlett Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi

Newbie here so apologies if this is an inappropriate post or in the wrong place - mods feel free to move or delete if I have transgressed.

A friend of mine has a combination of conditions, primarily Parkinsons, that severely limits his mobility.  He has for many years been a regular at his local football club, until this year being a season ticket holder.  Unfortunately his health was such at the beginning of this season that he had to stop going so did not renew his ticket.  Fortunately, as the weather has improved he has found his mobility increasing and decided to travel to a recent game.  He asked one of his neighbours (who has zero interest in football) to go as his carer and went to the ticket office to buy a carer/disabled pair of tickets, advertised buy the club.

He had with him various letters and confirmation of his disabled status along with photo ID (despite the fact he was known to many of the staff who knew full well his status).

His request was refused on the basis that the carer/disabled ticket was only available to anyone who registered their status at the beginning of the season.  He was offered the opportunity to purchase 2 full price tickets.

My question is, does this constitute discrimination under the Disability Act?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Ian

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @ibartlett welcome to the community!

I am not sure of exact laws around discrimination but this does sound very unfair! There is lots of information here about discrimination.

I would definitely be going back to the football club and asking for this to be looked into.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @ibartlett  

I would get in touch with Level Playing Field, which is dedicated to disabled sports fans. There is lots of useful info on the site plus a place to tell your stories at http://www.levelplayingfield.org.uk/fans-comments-have-your-say

Good luck and I hope the club sees sense, Alex
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @ibartlett ,

I'm afraid I don't see how not getting a concession that is for the disabled only can be seen as being treated worse than the non-disabled.

Were the terms relating to a registration time limit publicly available?
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    What was their reason and where does it actually say this can only be done at the start of the season?
  • ibartlett
    ibartlett Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you all for your reply.  I will look at Level Playing Field and pass the details to my friend and the club.  I am helping with the discussions with the club and I should have said at the start that this is not a dispute as such but simply the first time that the Club policy has been tested and they are keen to ensure they do the right thing.

Like markmywords, at first I thought that this was just a case of not registering in time but the more I think it through it is disadvantaging anyone who needs assistance getting to a game (or other event) from making a spontaneous choice to attend without registering - perhaps months in advance.

I can find no published terms and the club acknowledges this is an error.

Again, thank you all for your assistance, i will let you know how it is resolved (though simply accepting the paperwork my friend carries would seem simple enough!!).
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Good luck!

I had a case a few years ago - because I wasn't on higher rate care or higher rate mobility DLA or either rate of attendance allowance, (I was on mid rate care and lower mobility) they won't let me have a carer in for free. They did eventually agree. But it went on for ages. I did have to point out that as someone with a learning disability, plus dual sense loss, there's a serious safety issue for me and other people around me.

Brightness