DLA stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA stopped

Options
josie67
josie67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi group I have a disabled son from birth, he was born with short femur bones. Over the years he has had several leg lengthening. He's 16 now and has decided he doesn't want any more procedure on his legs.  He also has a curved spine and will need a hip replacement. The doctors have said if he as any op on spine this can cause his neck and head to tilt to one side., leave him in a wheelchair permanantely or paralysis. He has difficulty in walking any distance it causes pain and discomfort.  Hw as been on crutches for 3 years. They have stopped his dla from October 2016. I put in for an appeal they turnt this down saying he can walk. I believe I'm at fault for the way I filled in the former.  I suffer with depression. Any advice please. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Josie67,

Sorry to to hear about the problems you've been having with your sons' benefits. 

Can I just check that your son did claim personal independence payment (PIP)? His disability living allowance would have stopped at the age of 16. PIP is a very difference benefit from DLA and you should have a look at the PIP information on the Scope benefit pages. Unfortunately having an award of DLA previously is no guarantee that you will get PIP.

If your son has not actually claimed PIP he should do so straightaway.

If your son failed to qualify for PIP then you can ask for a reconsideration within a calendar month of the decision letter. If you don't think you gave enough information on the claim form you can now provide more detail about your son's difficulties, outlining exactly which descriptors you think apply. Send in any additional information you can - perhaps a care plan, doctor's letter or maybe your son could keep a diary for a day describing the problems he has, how far he can walk, how long he has to rest each time, the pain and discomfort he feels, etc.

If the reconsideration is not successful then you can ask for an appeal within a month of the decision letter. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

Best wishes,

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @josie67,

How are you? Was this information helpful? Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.