What do work coaches mean when they say that you to prepare for work for so many hours a week?

BrianMcFaddenFan82
BrianMcFaddenFan82 Community member Posts: 59 Contributor

I was looking on my UC journal toake sure that my appointment and advisor haven't changed for November (which it hasn't thankfully) and I decided to check my commitments (I think it was) and I saw that she (my work coach) had put on mine that I have to prepare for work for 4 hours a week, but no further information with it.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,646 Online Community Programme Lead
    edited September 29

Good morning @BrianMcFaddenFan82.

Have you had a work capability assessment? I just want to check that your commitments are correct for your situation.

Work preparation can be lots of things and if you're unsure what is expected of you, the best person to ask is your work coach.

A few things preparing for work can include are:

• Volunteering
    • Attending skills courses or assessments
    • Improving your personal presentation
    • Taking part in trainings or programmes suggested by Job Centre
    • Doing work experience or a work placement
    • Creating and maintaining job profiles on job sites
    • Making or reviewing your CV

• Dave1993
    Dave1993 Community member Posts: 68 Contributor

are you on LCWRA?

• Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 148 Empowering

on top of the preparing for work stuff, you don't have to spend 4 hours on it literally. you just have to make the work coaches think you do. if that means lying to them about how long you spend preparing, that's what you've got to do.

some people are told to jobsearch for 35 hours a work, something that's literally impossible.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,207 Championing

Based on their other threads they currently have LCW.

• BrianMcFaddenFan82

@Dave1993 I am on LCW.

@poppy123456 I'm female. I'm the lady in my profile pic. The gentleman with me is my fiancé

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,207 Championing

Yes, I had realised by your comments that you are female.

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 773 Empowering

@Stellar - hello again, hope you’re ok.

Lying isn’t something we do😉

We might be economical, or elastic, with the truth (which is how politicians get away with stuff), but you’re right, who’s to say that what took somebody an hour didn’t take AN Other four hours.

@BrianMcFaddenFan82 - don’t forget to tell your coach if this work-search makes you feel worse, and ask for any disability adaptations you need. That’s your right. 🥰

• BrianMcFaddenFan82