My child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My child

maisy56andEva
maisy56andEva Community member Posts: 20 Listener
my child has not been diagnosed with any form of disability or LD. But has come back from school today and I asked her how her day was and she would not speak to me. I then  got. A phone call from her teacher saying she hasn't spoken Al day and was crying in class they don't know why and I can't find out why and they have suggested I keep her off school all next week any ideas? 

Comments

• EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    They absolutely must not suggest you keep her off school! They have a duty of care and it is their responsibility to identify what difficulties she has and put in place support as needed. They cannot help if she is not at school! There is lots of information for schools on children who are selectively mute... they should access that information rom the local authority if they do not know what to do. If they cannot identify what is going on then they need to make referrals to relevant external agencies (in discussion with you). Don't try direct questions, instead ask her to draw a picture of her day at school then tell you about what she has drawn. Or to draw something that makes her feel happy, sad, exciting, scared, etc... then ask her to tell you about what she has drawn. Let me know if that helps or not. Also give her the number for Childline if she doesn't feel she can tell you... better that she speaks to someone than noone.
  • maisy56andEva

They absolutely must not suggest you keep her off school! They have a duty of care and it is their responsibility to identify what difficulties she has and put in place support as needed. They cannot help if she is not at school! There is lots of information for schools on children who are selectively mute... they should access that information rom the local authority if they do not know what to do. If they cannot identify what is going on then they need to make referrals to relevant external agencies (in discussion with you). Don't try direct questions, instead ask her to draw a picture of her day at school then tell you about what she has drawn. Or to draw something that makes her feel happy, sad, exciting, scared, etc... then ask her to tell you about what she has drawn. Let me know if that helps or not. Also give her the number for Childline if she doesn't feel she can tell you... better that she speaks to someone than noone.

That is helpful I have asked her to draw a picture of her day  at school before . 
  • maisy56andEva
    And you feel she should go to school next week then? I rang the teacher again just and she said they might get her with the school nurse next week to discuss what's worrying her?
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Unfortunately I have not been able to post for a while. How are things going?

Brightness