Pip and blue badge how does it work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and blue badge how does it work

dan20ddf
dan20ddf Community member Posts: 39 Connected
Hi I've just been approved for a Blue Badge by my local authority but I've only scored 4 points on pip mobility how cone my local authority recognise my conditions without a medical ... but DWP  awarded me four points only how this work .... 
Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33344/pip-and-blue-badge#5IJcxUvdCCfzQrxD.99

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Whilst you can get a blue badge via PIP, (8 on moving around or 12 on getting around safely if in Scotland or Wales) there are other criteria for which you can get a blue badge.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @dan20ddf

To qualify for a Blue Badge the Local Authority (LA)  looks to see if you have 'automatic qualification' or  whether you will have to go down 'the assessed route'.

'Automatic qualification' means that the LA looks for whether you have a specific benefit / payment in place or a specific disability. (For more information about these see
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/197719/can-i-get-a-blue-badge.pdf

If you are unable to get a Blue Badge in one of these ways, then the LA can 'assess' you using rules under the 'assessed route'. (The above link will also explain these rules)

I'm guessing you qualified in this way and had to complete an application form explaining how your illness / disability affects your mobility. Sometimes LA's are asking people to attend a medical assessment as part of the application process for the 'assessed route'.

Hope this helps!

Laura
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.