family told me I'm probably ASD and ADD or ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

family told me I'm probably ASD and ADD or ADHD

mickpask
mickpask Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity

Immediate family have recently decided to tell me that I'm probably ASD and ADD or ADHD. That's fine I guess, but how do I get it properly assessed? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ariel
    Ariel Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    "Immediate family have recently decided to tell me that I'm probably ASD and ADD or ADHD. That's fine I guess, but how do I get it properly assessed? Thanks in advance."

But what do YOU think, @mickpask? You haven't even mentioned your own thoughts on this, yet.

Do research into autism and ADHD. Do you feel that the description fits you?

Before diving in for a diagnosis, it is important that you know how you feel about their claims. Don't let them dictate on your behalf.

As @DannyMoore says, your GP can then help you. But I would say that it's important that you're not just going because someone else said you should.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @mickpask  and welcome to the forum. I'd agree with the previous replies - firstly, decide for YOURSELF what you think and whether you even want to know (some people don't and that's absolutely fine), then if you want to pursue it, talk to your GP about a referral.

It's also worth considering what the motivations are behind other people informing you they think you may have ASD. Are they criticising or genuinely trying to be helpful? They certainly shouldn't be using it as a negative, as it absolutely isn't. 

Do let us know how you get on.

Violet 
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness