Refused pip for disability after being on it for 31 years . — Scope | Disability forum

Refused pip for disability after being on it for 31 years .

aggi573 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have severe rheumatoid arthritis which i have had for 44years also severe renal problems and have had a triple heart bypass irecently was assessed and taken off my mobility after 31years .any advive thanx c rudge .


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi aggi573,

    The first step is to ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision. I"m guessing you were moved from DLA to PIP and haven't got the mobility component? Maybe you haven't got the daily living component either, I"m not sure. 

    You could have a look at this site to see what points you think you should have got. Then explain in the mandatory reconsideration request (which you send to the DWP) why you should get those points. If the assessor's report was wrong, say so and you might consider complaining about it too (to ATOS or Capita).

    Send in any additional medical evidence you have, if at all possible, as this really helps to get MR requests to work.

    If you can get help from a local agency such as Citizens Advice that is usually a good idea as they will have come across similar problems.

    You've got a month to get your request for mandatory reconsideration to the DWP (a month from the decision date). If you have got some PIP (eg if you've got the daily living component but not mobility) then I'd really recommend getting some in-person/phone advice first because what you don't want is to lose the bit of the award you have successfully got, and unfortunately that is a risk.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.