Hi, my name is rek1957! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is rek1957!

Options
rek1957
rek1957 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Morning all. 
A mum and carer for my 26 year old son with Asperger, learning difficulties & other stuff.....you know how it is; along with each season of his life comes another concern. 
Working full time as a teaching assistant and almost 60 myself, I get pretty worn down and the older I get, the more I concern myself with how he's going to cope after I've gone as he totally relies on my emotional support. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rek1957 and welcome to the community. I know this can be a huge concern for parents.

It may not be what you are looking for, but have you considered Independent supported living? These can vary but in short are flat shares with at least one member of staff. The transition can be difficult but once he is settled in at least it is one less worry, and if not too far from you, you should be able to keep in touch. Feedback I have had from parents and family members who have gone into this type of housing has been positive.

I am by no means advocating this charity, but if you are not aware of this type of housing check out http://www.norwood.org.uk/Page/Supported-Living Also check out the Lyonsdown Road link for one of their key properties.

As I said I am not advocating them, there are others who provide similar services and may be nearer to where you are.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @rek1957

Welcome to the community. That sounds like hard work. How are you getting on? Do you get any support?

Brightness