22 year old son with autism having mental health difficulties. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

22 year old son with autism having mental health difficulties. Any advice?

Options
gregory56
gregory56 Community member Posts: 2 Courageous
Im new to the site and looking for advice my son is 22 and has autism, he is crrently having difficulties with his mental health (illusional thoughts OCD etc) were been passed around the mental health service as it seems they are unsure how to treat him due to the autism
Has anyone else come across this or are there any other parents out there of an adult with mental health who would be free for a chat as struggling on what to do to help him etc any help appreciated

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi

No personal experience on this but here is a thought.....

The National Autistic Society have some information about autism and mental health on their website: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/mental-health.aspx it says that the information is taken from  journal article by Dr Anastasios Galanopoulos, Dr Dene Robertson, Ms Debbie Spain and Dr Clodagh Murphy , I wonder if it would be possible to contact those experts (even if it was just via the internet). If so, maybe they could give you some pointers about what you could do next.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• SofRoch
    SofRoch Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options

Hi gregory56,

Hope you are ok, I can understand the difficulties you are currently experiencing. I have Asperger syndrome and chronic obsessive compulsive disorder myself. It impacts on my life on a day to day basis. I've found that exercise is very important and can help when the OCDs are overwhelming.  I have to try and manage my mental health through medication which in turn has side effects and hasn't greatly improved my mental health. If you ever want to chat then please let me know.

Take care,

SofRoch

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gregory56 how are you getting on?

We have a guest post this week about OCD that I thought you might be interested in?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness