Can you claim PIP if your disability is not covered by any of the pip descriptors — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you claim PIP if your disability is not covered by any of the pip descriptors

dogfather
dogfather Community member Posts: 61 Connected
Hi my mobility issue is I have difficulty sitting, unfortunately your ability to sit is not covered by a PIP descriptor? Are there exceptional circumstances where PIP awards can be made if claimants do not meet the exact criteria!

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Is difficulty sitting your only disability?  Do you have difficulty undertaking everyday tasks?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @dogfather, PIP is awarded not on the disability itself but on how you are affected by it. What is it that makes sitting difficult and does this affect other activities. E.g I too have a problem sitting but only on hard or lightly padded seats when I would need a pressure cushion. This affects my ability to sit in the bath which is hard and means I can only stand in the bath to shower. I'm sure you don't just stand up all the time so maybe a little more information might help?
  • dogfather
    Unfortunately I do spend most of my days in an upright position or lying on a sofa, I can walk and stand, sitting is my issue. After  many operations on my bottom I ended up with chronic pain of the perinium. Unless I really have to I don't sit, if I do no matter what surface I am sat on I start squirming after 10-15 minutes and have to get up and move. I prefer traveling standing on public transport rather than in a car. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Unfortunately, unless you meet the criteria, you won't get PIP. There are no exceptions.
  • dogfather
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dogfather there is a PIP self test you can do to see if you could be entitled to it.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dogfather
    Thanks I had a look at the test, fortunately for me I don't think I meet any of the criteria. I just wondered if there was an exceptions ruling if you go for a a face to face medical. I just have difficulty sitting, I struggle sitting in a car longer than 15 mins. If I need to go anywhere I have to stand on public transport. Issues with sitting are not covered under any of the PIP descriptors. I can only assume the people who wrote the descriptors assumes everyone can sit.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The descriptors cover a narrow range of activities.  Claimants have to fit themselves into the DWP's template often bizarre template as best they can. After the election, you could raise with your MP the issue of sitting not being covered.
  • dogfather
    Thanks for the advice, 

Brightness