Wheelchair in flat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair in flat

lazlaura
lazlaura Community member Posts: 4 Listener
i was recently homeless and then after staying in homeless accommodation was lucky enough to be offered a flat which was approved by ot and as I was homeless had to accept property, the issue is I really struggle to use wheelchair in property as there not space to manover wheelchair and I can't fit it in wetroom, we not on a secure tenancy and unsure what to do am currently pulling myself through to room on my walker but this isn't safe as I black out, we only been here 6 months and I really am struggling does anyone have any advice please 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @lazlaura,

Sorry to hear you're struggling in your new home. Have you spoken to the OT about this? Have you had an OT assessment since you moved in?

Do you have a care package or someone at home who can support you with getting around the flat? 

We can look at all your options and see what help is available where you live.

Aside from the problems you're having getting around the property, is everything else ok? Moving from homeless accommodation into permanent housing is a big transition and very expensive. Do you have all of your essential household goods and are you coping financially?

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• lazlaura
    Hello 
    I haven't had ot visit since living here have asked via doctors and council and still nothing, I do have a 13 year old daughter who helps with so much when she is home from school during day I struggle when she isn't about especially! We have furniture we mainly struggle with layout of property really not being as suitable as we first thought, I'm finding I spend most of my time in my room out of the way where I can get about, we so grateful for a property however it just upsetting myself and my daughter as we were really hoping it would help with more independence instead of less and have no idea where to turn to we don't want to end up in homeless accommodation again we really anxious about the whole situation, I'm finding I'm struggling financially to ensure am covering all bills I still have managed to get behind with finances also, thank you for replying 
    laura
  • lazlaura
    Hello 
    I haven't had ot visit since living here have asked via doctors and council and still nothing, I do have a 13 year old daughter who helps with so much when she is home from school during day I struggle when she isn't about especially! We have furniture we mainly struggle with layout of property really not being as suitable as we first thought, I'm finding I spend most of my time in my room out of the way where I can get about, we so grateful for a property however it just upsetting myself and my daughter as we were really hoping it would help with more independence instead of less and have no idea where to turn to we don't want to end up in homeless accommodation again we really anxious about the whole situation, I'm finding I'm struggling financially to ensure am covering all bills I still have managed to get behind with finances also, thank you for replying 
    laura
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @lazlaura,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Have they put you on a waiting list for an OT assessment? I know that sometimes it can be quite a long wait for an assessment. I'd like to get some more information from you so that I can look up what support is available in your area. I will message you privately to get that information from you and see what we can find. We can also talk about the financial side of things and see if there's any additional help you should be getting to help with your finances.

I'll be in touch shortly.

Brightness