Pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal

dan20ddf
dan20ddf Community member Posts: 39 Connected
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've just been told can take 17weeks before I get heading date for my appeal this is true has anyone else had this on there's please 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @dan20ddf

I had to wait five and a half months for my tribunal hearing date.  It depends on which area you live.  I live in London.
  • cottonbrain
    cottonbrain Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I have my tribunal next week, it has taken 21 weeks, I live in Liverpool 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @dan20ddf,

Have you asked for an oral hearing/hearing in person? Citizens Advice have some more information about the PIP appeals process on their website.

I have also moved this discussion into the Talk about PIP/DLA category, where other members of the community and one of our advisors may be able to help.

Hopefully you receive some confirmation about the date of your tribunal soon.
    Liam
  • dan20ddf
    I see i am not only one then but see why people mention it's draining timescale wise 
  • Matilda
    The number of appeals is rapidly increasing, because of assessors' incompetence and lies, so there is a backlog of cases waiting to be held.

Damian Greene, government minister, quoted 7% as the number of PIP claims that go to appeal. But almost certainly that figure is way out of date.
  • dan20ddf
    @Matilda did have your appeal yet is there advice to say in appeal as I am nervous this sort of thing 
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi when I had my appeal there was a judge, a doctor, and a health asseser and a clerk. I took with me my husband, and a lady from the dead society. DWP did not send anyone. They told me in a lot of cases they don't attend. They asked me a lot questions,  some were not even relevant to my illness. They were all very nice, and treated me with respect.
    Good luck I hope everything goes ok. 
  • Matilda
    @dan20ddf

Had my tribunal hearing last week and won enhanced mobility and daily needs without a time limit!  So, worth all the hassle in the end.  Below is what I posted on my own thread.  Hope it's helpful.

"Had my Hearing today and have been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility; indefinite award.

Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

Two points worth making:

Assessors and tribunals think that if you can drive then you can't have any difficulty bathing and dressing - which I know is not true.

Assessors and tribunals think it's relevant for how long you can walk, not just how far.  So if you can only walk 20 metres, emphasise that, for example, this takes you one minute, then you rest for a minute, then you walk another 20 metres in one minute and so on.  So, for example, you can repeat this 10 times. So 10 minutes actual walking but not continuously.  

The tribunal put pressure on me to be very precise about everything I said I can and can't do!  At times I felt like offering to draw them diagrams!

• Matilda
    The tribunal drew heavily on my diary for their questions.  So look over your diary carefully if you submitted one.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.