Help with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with PIP

Options
BigBen
BigBen Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi I don't know where to ask this question. I am currently receiving pip, i got 8 points on the daily standard rate and receive £55.65 per week. I am waiting for an asperger's assessment will this effect my pip claim in terms of money going up, money going down or being stopped all together?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi @BigBen

PIP points are awarded, not on a diagnosis itself, but on the way it affects you.  How far you can walk, planning journeys, and how well you can undertake daily activities such as cooking, eating, bathing, dressing, communicating with others, and more.

Disability Rights website has a very good guide to PIP.

• BigBen
    BigBen Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Hi Matilda thank you for your help
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @BigBen, Can I ask how you got your assessment for Asberger's and who is doing it? We have an adopted son who we suspect has it but has never been diagnosed. His only diagnosis is for learning difficulties and he has a history of disruptive, violent behaviour which I managed to produce evidence of. He has higher rate daily living and standard rate mobility. He was assessed in 2011. I suspect that if he was reviewed now he would struggle to keep what he has. As far as you are concerned as @Matilda said it isn't based on your diagnosis but how you are affected i.e. basically you either have no problem with an activity, can manage using an aid of some sort or you need help from another person. Your diagnosis will help but your needs would have to have changed for you to contact DWP asking for a Supersession and then you do risk losing benefit. No-one can directly answer your question as it's up to the assessor and decision maker at the time to decide firstly whether to look at your claim again and secondly whether to change it in any way.. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BigBen There is a PIP self test you can do online to see what your score could possibly be that might be worth looking at.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.