Pip appeal - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome, Lorraine.  I mean that a benefits advisor on this thread will give you more info when they are on this forum next week.
  • KevinH
    KevinH Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I had a bad experience with my PIP appeal. I never even got the chance to put forward my case on the day, as the tribunal judge proceeded to tell me before I even got a chance to sit down that things had changed with PIP and that I could be leaving that day with no award. This was prior to the new changes that were to come into effect on the 17/3/17, he advised that I seek legal advice if I was to proceed. This was all done in an intimidating tone. I had no choice but to withdraw my appeal. 
  • Matilda
    @KevinH

If you made your claim before the March 2017 changes, then the judge was in the wrong.  Did you seek legal advice or go to CAB?
  • KevinH
    KevinH Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I got some advice from the MS disability law service at the time but they weren't very helpful. I wrote to my local MP again wasn't very helpful. I lodged a complaint with the tribunal service who said I had to raise it with the judges commission who again just fobbed me off with more red tape. Citizens advice in my area only deal with debt matters so really exhausted all avenues. 
  • Matilda
    I suggest that you tell what happened on your own thread in 'Ask a benefits advisor' category.  
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi lorrainemorton,

I'm sorry it looks like we missed your queries on here back in April.

Just to say that Matilda is right. You absolutely do not have to be on ESA to get PIP. Many people on PIP work. PIP is a benefit for the extra costs of disability. It is not related to whether or not you can work.

If your GP is suggesting that you go back to work, then this is something to consider, but remember, it is not up to them whether you come off ESA. That is for you to decide. You might want to consider doing what's called 'permitted work' first, so that your ESA doesn't stop. 

It's only relevant to PIP if your condition changes so that you can do more at home for yourself (the daily living activities) or you are more able to move around and/or plan and follow journeys. If that hasn't changed, then working doesn't affect your entitlement to PIP.

KevinH, please do start a new thread if you would like to discuss your tribunal hearing. We'd be happy to advise. My first question would be to ask when the tribunal happened exactly. Unfortunately if you withdrew your appeal, you'd need to apply for reinstatement within a month, usually. The tribunal can give you longer, but there's no guarantee. You did the right thing in complaining about the judge but it sounds as if that didn't get very far. It may be that the best next step is to simply claim PIP again - but do tell us more on your own thread.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.