Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Housing Nightmare !

Kar1967Kar1967 Member Posts: 1 Listener
My ex left me when I got bedridden with RA, we were renting at the time and this has had a knock on effect.  I'm living in a damp property with my daughter and the landlord cant seem to 
sort the issue. I've been looking for a year now for a bungalow local to me. 
Agents will not even let me view because im on dss and am not working... I have told them its due to my condition. Nobody wants to know... the council just want to sort it with the landlord but he just keeps on painting over the damp. 
I went to court last friday with my ex to sort out some issues and I told the judge, she told me why I havent considered suing the landlord, I  told her its because he gave me a section 21 to me to leave when i complained.  She told me to try a housing association I told her the council allocates and I havent been in the area long enough.
Help  its hard enough with my physical struggles and pain, the mental and emotional is making me so depressed what can I do? 
FYI   I live in Billericay, Essex.


  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @Kar1967,

    I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with housing - it sure sounds like a stressful time.

    @Debbie_Scope, can you help?
  • the_velvet_girlthe_velvet_girl Member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Have you tried to find another private landlord? I wasn't even allowed to view properties by some agencies due to a low income so I had to rent privately & I seem to have got a decent landlord this time! Like you, I've had an awful time with private landlords in the past but after being told it could take 10 years to get social housing, I was left with little choice to rent privately again. Have you tried contacting Shelter for advice?
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @Kar1967,

    Sorry to learn about the problems you're having with your housing.

    Have you seen the information on Shelter's website about Repairs? Does the landlord know what's causing the damp? The council will want the landlord to sort the problem out because the landlord is legally obliged to do so.
    I know it's worrying that the landlord will serve a notice if you ask for repairs but there was a change in the law in 2015 so it would be a good idea to check with Shelter about Revenge Evictions and see where you stand.

    Have you asked your local council about whether they have a list of local landlords who are willing to rent to tenants in receipt of benefits? Some councils keep a list in house of individual landlords or letting agents.
    There is a website called Open Rent and you can tailor your searches to include landlords who accept DSS. I hope this helps a little bit.

    Best wishes
  • FidgetDudeFidgetDude Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited June 2017
    Very sorry to hear about your story.
    Have you tried searching online for a suitable place where you could move to?
    Not all who wander are lost!
Sign in or join us to comment.