CP and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP and PIP

Options
muliki1972
muliki1972 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm 45 year's old and I live in United Kingdom and was born with cerapalsy. I was just wondering how hard is it for people to claim p i p when you can do most things when you have got certain equipment to help you to walk about outside as I use a walker when I have got to walk about outside and I've got certain things to help me out in my bathroom and bedroom as both of my legs lock up on me all the time without warning and I could be anywhere as I have now been told that if you can walk so far with any type of help you won't qualify to get p i p 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @muliki1972 welcome to the community.

You could try taking the PIP self test to see how you score here.  There is also a great guide by CAB to help fill in the PIP forms that you can read through here.

Take a look through the PIP category for lots of posts from members who have been through the PIP process.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @muliki1972

It depends how far you can walk, aided or unaided, before you need to stop because of pain, stiffness or fatigue and rest for a minute or so before continuing.

0-20 metres = 12 PIP points (enhanced rate)

20-50-metres = 10 points (standard rate)

50-200 metres = 8 points (standard rate)
  • singlemania45
    singlemania45 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Remember 63% of PIP rejections are overturned on appeal. It’s possible you could score sufficient points to qualify for standard rate daily living if you rely upon help, gadgets and adaptations to cope with daily living The key point about how far you can walk isn’t necessarily the distance but whether you can walk aided or unaided reliably and safely more than 50% of the time. If you are at risk of falling that isn’t safe. There are charities with an on line presence that can give you all the support and advice needed to submit a PIP claim to DWP. I wish you luck.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,287 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Remember 63% of PIP rejections are overturned on appeal. It’s possible you could score sufficient points to qualify for standard rate daily living if you rely upon help, gadgets and adaptations to cope with daily living The key point about how far you can walk isn’t necessarily the distance but whether you can walk aided or unaided reliably and safely more than 50% of the time. If you are at risk of falling that isn’t safe. There are charities with an on line presence that can give you all the support and advice needed to submit a PIP claim to DWP. I wish you luck.

Hi,
    You have commented on a thread that's more than 4 years old and the member that started the thread hasn't been active on the forum since around the same time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.