summer employment for teenager in a wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

summer employment for teenager in a wheelchair

Options
jackiewackie
jackiewackie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Any advice or ideas for a teenager in a wheelchair to get a summer job. He has cmt and scoliosis. I have emailed numerous organisations in our area. And seem to be getttting no where quick. 
He has gcses and this is is his last week before he starts college in late September. 

I want him to get some independence of the big world so any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thank you

Comments

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jackiewackie.

Could you give us a bit more information about your son please? Like how old he is, what his interests are, and what he intends to study at college?

I assume he/you have spoken to the Job Centre. It might be worth  placing a call to your local authority, or district or Borough Council as well, as they may know of potential opportunities for young people. Ask for the Communities team, any staff that work with young people, and also the Economic Department.

You might also contact your local Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Lions Club, and Federation of Small Business, and ask if they know of opportunities or if they would share your son's CV with their members.

Local colleges are also a good place to contact as well.

I hope these ideas help.
  • jackiewackie
    jackiewackie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for moving my question and answering. 
    He is 16, He has his final gcse on Friday and will start a BTEC level 3 IT course at college which is ideal  for him as he into computers gadgets and all technology.

We have contacted the chamber of commerce and they are waiting for him to contact them for a chat etc.. the  local council didn't have anything avaliable but will try again and will try via those departments.

Will now try local rotary club lions club and fed of small businesses.

Will keep you posted and thank you again

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.