PIP don't think im disabled enough — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP don't think im disabled enough

Options
lindew67
lindew67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I'm brand new on here so still trying to find myself around, xx

Comments

• lindew67
    lindew67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I noticed other people having trouble with the new 
    PIP it was good to see I wasn't on my own with being turned down...
    i was on DLA FOR 5 years previously and they gave it me after my first assessment but when I asked them to look again at my care side as they didn't give me enhanced they whipped the car back and took all of it off me I was left feeling cheated,the car was my only independace,I can't walk further than my garfen
    path without panting breathless and collapsing to the ground I haven lots of health issues from fibromyalgia,arthritis, sleep apnea,breathing problems,asthma,and severe swelling to my left foot and leg and I have to use crutches and  a mobility scooter on days out with family and my local council have put me a wet room In and they agreed to pay for me a through the floor lift but PIP don't think I'm disabled enough
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @lindew67,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with PIP. Have you appealed the decision? We have more information about PIP appeals on our website.

I've also moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise further.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    You have to remember that the criteria has changed/ Have you gone through to see where you score points? Being entitled to DLA doesn't automatically entitle you to PIP.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @lindew67

Just to echo Nystagmite words .. have you checked the descriptors and the points that are allocated in order to qualify for PIP?
    You can check these out here:
    http://https//www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    Unfortunately the criteria for the mobility component has been tightened and people who were entitled to the high rate mobility component with DLA are often not entitled to the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP.
    When was the decision made? You have one month to challenge a decision, but an absolute limit of 13 months if there is a good reason why you could not have challenged within the one month time limit. The clock starts ticking from the date at the top of your decision letter.
    You could contact a local advice agency to see if they can help you with the Mandatory Reconsideration and Appeals process. Hopefully somebody there will be able to look through the decision, discuss your condition with you and be able to help you with challenging your decision.
    If it has been some time since the decision was made, then you may also want to consider whether you can re-claim if you have had a change of circumstances since your last claim. Again a local advice agency should be able to help you decide if this is appropriate or not.
    Please do not give up. Please re-contact us for more advice if you would like and I hope that you get a good outcome soon,

Laura
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.