Private respite care facilities for young disabled adults in the Yorkshire area — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private respite care facilities for young disabled adults in the Yorkshire area

Options
Abi222
Abi222 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
I am a carer for my son who  has Cerebral Palsy.   I would like to hear form any parents on the forum that use/know of any private respite care facilities for young disabled adults in the Yorkshire area.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Abi222 welcome to the community - there is some information on respite here.  

I found this respite centre, The VInes but it is in Nottinghamshire, not sure if that is too far?

I had a google and there seems to be a few but obviously I don't want to recommend any that I have no idea what they are like.  Does your son get any other social care support? Could you ask them for recommendations? 

Im not sure where you are in Yorkshire, but the Centre of Independent Living in Sheffield has a great wealth of advise so it might be worth looking at their website.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Abi222
    Abi222 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    hi Sam_Scope

Thank you for the information.  I had a quick look  at the Vines..it appears to be local authority care home i was looking for a privately  owned one.   I have experience of L.A. facilities through my father and my son i wouldn't  recommend either!   We are in the East Riding area of Yorkshire  but would travel up to 2 hours  for a suitable place.

We have Direct Payments and a portion is for respite.  My son stays with carers in their home or occasionally at Centre Parc or the Calvert trust.  I am aware that this arrangement will not always be possible and i doubt we would be lucky enough to find another couple able to offer the same fantastic standards to suit our requirements.
    I am looking for a place he would enjoy with lots of stimulation and outings in a caring environment that can cope with his complex needs.

I will look at the Independent Living site.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you for your reply  :0

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could try looking on East Riding Connect to Support website.

I was chatting to the people from Calvert Trust a few weeks ago and it sounds amazing!

Best of luck! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness