Housing pip benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing pip benefits

Kim Bailey
Kim Bailey Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My son lost his dla and I lost all benefits and because I wasn't a carer I lost my hb council tax ect and put on uc now I've won my son's pip they didn't put me on income support and now have council on my back saying overpayment lha sending bailiffs I am all ready paying housing rent arrears over 1.000 and council billed me same c.tax twice so need help and I haven't had a care plan for son as 18 but I don't want council involved with us  I am his carer 35 hours and have health problems myself 

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Kim Bailey So sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I suggest you repost in the Ask a Benefit Advisor category, They aren't usually around at weekends but someone will be along to help soon. Have you given the council the new PIP decision letter? Did your son get the standard or higher rate of PIP? Any more info. like how long your son was without any disability benefit and the date he got his new PIP award will help the advisors to give you better advice.. 
  • twister
    twister Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Get to your local advice agency or CAB and get them to help you try to solve these issues, they really can help - also look at National Guidelines for Bailiff Action (www.gov.uk) will help you in what they can/not do etc. 

Did your son have an EHP? if so this is meant to go to 25, if he had any of the forerunners they are to be transffred to the new EHP need to speak to education or health team
  • Kim Bailey
    Kim Bailey Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi my son had an sen statement but no one has bothered with us also his 18 he will not talk to any one from care as he told me they don't care  also I fill I am not getting any surport from council 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kim Bailey and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. As bad as things seem at the moment from what you have said it is possible to manage the situation.

As @twister mentioned there are organisations out there to help you, CAB and advice centres. As well as getting help with dealing with the HB and CT they should be able to assist you in ensuring you are getting the benefits you are entitled to. If there are other debts I would recommend you mention these as well so everything gets sorted.

While there can be some variations, in general councils are not interested in sending in bailiffs or evicting tenants. They understand the current situation with PIP and UC, and will try and work with tenants to resolve issues, but this does rely on tenants engaging with them. Having support from external agencies can help to make it less stressful for you.

I can respect that you don't want involvement with the council, but it can make it very difficult for the council to offer support you feel you are not getting. There are other agencies which can offer support, so what support would you like?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness