Hi, my name is Splinter! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Splinter!

Splinter
Splinter Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have just completed a three day Caseworker Course for voluntary work in SSAFA
(SoldiersSailorsAirmenFamiliesAssociation) for any Serving or Ex Serving Personnel who have done more than one days Service in The Armed Forces  (ie has a Forces Number) and their families... whether they are Disabled or Homeless or Financial Struggling or ReAdjusting to Civvy life or Returning back from Active Service in Iraq or Afghan etc etc.

As after a few Shadowing Duties... l personnally, will be sent out to complete the necessary mandatory 6 page Means Test (with document proof as and when needed of Service) and it will be up to me to get in touch with various Military and Civvy Organisations to ascertain what and if any of my potential Cases can receive any Benefits or Assistance we are yet not aware of. 

This is a polite introductory of my possible needs or requirement requests ...to clarify - from a well known established civvy Organisation; such as yourself - if you can foresee if 'we' (SSAFA) can be of any help to any of your clients or visitors...or, if your Co can be of any assistance to ours?

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards
Marie
M Wood (Ms)

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Splinter welcome to the community, I have just emailed you to see how we could create a space for service people to join the community and get some information and support!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dismum
    Dismum Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes I concur that a specific forces page could be set up for advice. I feel the need to do this because of my own experiences with the universal credit system. There is a loop hole with universal credit. I receive unemployability supplement of war pension so I was not therefore entitled to claim incapacity benefit and then esa. When I put my claim in for tax credits I was advised that I had to claim universal credit. My area had already gone over to uc. When the claim came through I was told that I would receive the tax credit supplement and the equivalent of esa. I tried over 30 times with different people to explain that I was not entitled to esa part because I already receive war pension equivalent of esa. I even wrote to my MP who in turn wrote to the mod. They confirmed I am entitled to both benefits because UC is not means tested. I also have never had to go to an assessment centre for my medicals they have always been done at home. When I claimed DLA carers component they used my war pension medical as evidence. I am still waiting after 9 months of putting in my claim to see what the outcome is. I already receive the benefit but they are still sorting my claim. They are probably underpaying me too and I’ve been told I should receive £400 a month for the esa part of it. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Splinter

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

That is a great idea.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51

Brightness