How do PIP assessors view Fibromyalgia? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do PIP assessors view Fibromyalgia?

Options
Lemmons
Lemmons Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello to all on here.  Thank you for allowing me to join this community.  A little about myself,  I was recently diagnosed after a terrible year of pain and fatigue with Fibromalygia, IBS and bursitus in both hips.  Now I know what I am dealing with I can get on with adjusting to it and living my life.  I have had to give up my 22 year career  as a support worker whixh has been gutting to say the least and now on the rocky road of seeing what benefits I can get to help me.  I am due for PIP assessment early in July and dreading it as I don't know how assessors view my conditions.  Any advice would be greatful.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lemmons welcome to the community - the assessment  is meant to be about how your impairments affect your life.  You can look through this CAB site about filling in PIP forms, I know you are past that stage, but it is really handy for reading through exactly what each question means and to think about how you can answer.

We also have a video about PIP Assessments and the lady in it has hidden impairments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • noramc
    noramc Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    L have fibromyalgia and have had for over 20years some days l can not get out of bed with the pain l am waiting to go for my pip assessment l am 63 so l will be going soon the waiting is making me ill 

• htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Lemmons . @Sam_Scope 's advice is spot on: don't think of the assessor as assessing the medical condition, but assessing how it affects you. As you know different conditions affect individuals in a huge variety of ways, and it's the difficulties and challenges you encounter that they will be assessing. The fact you have fibromyalgia is sort of secondary to the assessment: it's how the condition affects you that's the main thing. Hope this makes sense, and I hope you feel a little encouraged by this. Speak soon,
    Heather
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lemmons. A very Big welcome to our site & I do hope that we can offer you both "advice & support" I will echo all of the above!!!! I have got "Chronic Pain" & this reared its ugly head in 2005. My "SRS" on the "NHS" went horribly wrong & it didn't work "Great" Please please let me know if I I can help you further Steve.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.