PIP Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mobility

chazie
chazie Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Can somebody please explain to me exactly what "able to plan and follow a route" exactly means on PIP assessment.  I have posted about my PIP decision but it is  this question that i got no points for and to me it seems  a redicilious question that i dont really understand

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    It's to do with going out safely. it doesn't take into account whether you walk (that's the other part) into account. It's things like - can you cross the road safely, can you read a map, bus timetable, etc. Can you get from A to B (familiar or unfamiliar) safely, do you wander off, etc.

You have to consider everything. I, for example, have mild hearing loss, (and various other hearing issues) Autism and partial sight. I got higher mobility (I have no problems walking; so got 12 points just on that) because I can't get around safely because I can't see or hear well enough to see where traffic comes from. Whilst I can plan a follow a journey (mostly) that's something like "get on a train at Plymouth at get off at Newton Abbot". You couldn't give me a map, tell me we're here and tell me to get to B safely. 
  • chazie
    Thank you for explaining, unfortunately its my body that dont work well not my mind, although because of breathing problems (Sarcoidosis, asthma and COPD) I get very anxious about going out (never go out alone) as i can have an attack at any time and then become very breathless and need nebuliser which i keep in car.  I also check about parking stairs etc before i go anywhere and usually do a test run so i know exactly where it is etc
  • Nystagmite
    That wouldn't count. You'd only get PIP on the basis that you can't walk very far. The "planning and following a journey" is for people with sensory, learning and mental health difficulties. It doesn't include people who have breathing difficulties who get anxious about getting out.
  • dedus
    dedus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I got awarded 4 points for not being able to plan a journey , because I have mental health issues , which lead to other issues , so sometimes it's not the main descriptor ie anxiety ! But what anxiety can lead to such as depression , lack of self awareness , 
    pack of motivation , causing shall we say certain mental illness , you have to look at the criteria for a certain task ie ( planning a journey ) and then see if any of the descriptors apply to you , directly or indirectly , hope this dosent sond to complicated , 
  • hev123456
    hev123456 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I cant walk very far as im waiting two knee replacements and have spinal problems i stumble alot and loose balance i rely on my mobility car and im really scared that going from dla to pip i will loose it i suffer from rhueumotoyd and osteo arthritus 
  • chazie
    I also have knee and spinal problems but because of breathing problems they cant operate, i have fallen on a number of occasions and also rely on my mobility car but unfortunately it looks like i am going to loose it which means i will have to rely on other people to get me around as i cannot manage public transport, bus stop 1/2 mile away and was retired from work on health grounds so cannot afford a car on my benefits.  I am going to tribunal but awaiting a date
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand that people are now allowed to keep their mobility cars pending the outcome of their appeals.
  • abbatony4950
    abbatony4950 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    What I found in my opinion that all the questions on the PIP forms are that they seem to be in favour of the DWP.  I have been to the tribunal and they have approved my case but the DWP are still going to contest it,What more do I have to do to prove I am disabled.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @abbatony4950 If you mean you've received a letter saying the DWP have 28 days to appeal the decision. This is standard practice and they can only appeal on a point of law which is rare, so although you then have to wait longer to get your payments it's not quite the threat it appears to be.  
  • Nystagmite
    What I found in my opinion that all the questions on the PIP forms are that they seem to be in favour of the DWP.  I have been to the tribunal and they have approved my case but the DWP are still going to contest it,What more do I have to do to prove I am disabled.
    You'd get better answers if you start your own thread

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.