Can't Pay Bedroom Tax; Refused Discretionary Payment - Please HELP! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't Pay Bedroom Tax; Refused Discretionary Payment - Please HELP!

thechief59
thechief59 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am wondering if any one can HELP.Myself and my wife are in a very large 2 bedroom Ground floor flat,which with our health problems is now too big for us to manage.We are both out of work on medical grounds.We have been turned down for the Discretionary payment for Bedroom Tax and we have told our Landlord that we wish to Downsize as we can not afford to pay the Bedroom Tax but they are doing nothing about it,they have said if we cant pay it we will have to get out !! any advice please ?

Comments

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Hi @thechief59

Welcome, and thanks for your question.

You can find a lot of information on the Bedroom Tax here on the disability rights website.

They note that in regard to Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP's):
    The government has issued guidance to councils emphasising that DHPs are available for priority groups, including people whose homes have had significant disability adaptations and those adults with long-term medical conditions or disabilities that create difficulties in sharing a bedroom.
    The housing benefit appeals system does not apply to DHPs, but you have the right to ask the local authority to look again at its decision if you are dissatisfied.

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thechief59

A very very warm welcome to our community I do hope that we can help/support you ???

Please please read the above information & let us know if you require any further help.

Many thanks.

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @Debbie_Scope, Hi. Can you advise on this on please? Thanks.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @thechief59,

Were you given a reason why you didn't qualify for a DHP?

I'd like to find out more from you so that I can advise further. Which Council is involved here? Is the Council your landlord or do you rent from a housing association?

Do you have rent arrears?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thechief59 how are you getting on? Do you need any more support?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness