Hello again, has anyone won their ESA/DLA/PIP appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello again, has anyone won their ESA/DLA/PIP appeal?

Options
janice_in_wonderland
janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
Hi, please can you share some positive points regarding your ESA/DLA/PIP 
Im struggling with my health and less money has had a huge impact on both my mental and physical well being and not being able to eat the right foods has made me even more ill including dealing with IBS on a daily basis on top of things 
please don't share distressing experiences just how to feel confident to win 
thank you 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janice_in_wonderland

I won my PIP appeal a month ago and below is what I posted afterward.  Hope it helps:

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances.

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Matilda

thank you for your reply 
    I've only just found it! 
    Apologies for my delayed response 

I'm too nervous to drive bc
    sleep apnoea can cause me to fall asleep at the wheel & i prefer not to travel unless there's a toilet close by 

I'm waiting for ESA & Pip tribunal dates & dreading going alone 

getting worried as I've moved to more suitable place 100 miles away from all of my support network but still have text/tel support which is a life saver

I only know one person who was awarded pip who went alone & didn't need to appeal & are not as bad as me but bc I'm tall slim intelligent blonde i am judged for trying 

I was offered a carer a couple of years ago but I wasn't in the right head space to decide & it was obvious I needed one

totally unfair system how ppl are treated 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.