What happens in a PIP Assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens in a PIP Assessment?

Options
ggmartin
ggmartin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,I'm having a face to face with a pip advisor,can someone explain what happensure in the meeting?I had a stroke 7 wks ago although no visible signs I'm getting blinding headaches,no concentration memory not great,out of the stroke they've found I've narrowing of the arteries which I guess will need surgery,just asking is it multiple choice or what does happen,have depression also an have arthritis in the bottom of my back,please help.ggmartin

Comments

• BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi @ggmartin , welcome to Scope's online community. We can definitely help you with this.

I've been through the face-to-face PIP assessment myself.

My main piece of advice would be that the assessor doesn't base their decision on your conditions, but how they affect you for things like washing, toileting, eating, getting around, managing medication, and so on.

In the face to face assessment, the assessor asks you about these things in terms of how you go about your ordinary day, and you give as much detail as possible. They may ask you to do things like putting your arms above your head- you can refuse, just be sure to explain why! (I refused one because my back was hurting from completing their other request)

Scope has some really accessible advice on this here-
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/personal-independence-payment-pip

There's a PIP assessment 'Facts and Questions' page, which may help a great deal! - https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip/faqs

Finally, there's a PIP discussion thread here where you might find some useful information about face to face assessments, or even just chat to others going through the same thing, if you need a friendly ear! -
    https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla

I hope these links help clarify things for you, and if there's anything else I can help with, feel free to contact me, or any other member!

Becca :)
  • ggmartin
    Options
    I'm not the best at communicating post stroke,I don't think I'd be good at confersioning with them.
  • ggmartin
    Options
    Yes links I will look into thanks Becca
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi @ggmartin: Welcome to the Community! As you can see from @BeccaShark123's great response, you've come to the right place for information, and it's great to have you here. You are allowed to bring someone with you to the assessment, and I would recommend it. Please do have a look through the discussions in our PIP/DLA area, and also have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs&t=4s Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing you in the Community!
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @ggmartin, Do you have a friend or relative who can go with you and preferably take you by driving or accompanying you in a taxi? This would also be very helpful in the assessment to highlight your problems with communication. It isn't a PIP advisor you'll be seeing it's a PIP assessor who is working for a separate company from the DWP. They are contracted to do the assessments and report back to the DWP about their findings. They will be sat in front of a computer writing while you answer their questions. Just tell them the things you have difficulty with and why. Be very negative. Don't say anything you can do as this will be used to stop you getting the points you are entitled to. Have a look at the PIP descriptors and choose which one's best describe you and base your answers on that. Good Luck hope it goes well..
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    Take someone with you.

They will ask you questions that aren't on the forms. They will make utterly bizarre assumptions. They will ask you the same questions in a different way later to catch you out. They did this with me and it meant I ended up with no mobility. (because I can get to a familiar place, just)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.