PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment

Options
willbert
willbert Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have to do a face to face assessment on monday at 9.15am. My friend phoned on my behalf and explained that I dont leave the house due to my mental illness, she asked if I could get a home visit and they said I would need a letter from doctor explaining why I couldn't travel for face to face. My doctor wrote a letter explaining that I suffer PTSD, severe anxiety and emotionally unstable personality disorder and I would need a home visit. My friend phoned them today and they refused and said I have to come to them.

What advice can anyone give me for my face to face on monday. Im stressed out over this and am getting panic attacks when thinking I have to travel to belfast for my face to face. I am also angry how they refused a home visit and are adding unnecessary stress. It is making me feel depressed and suicidle.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @willbert Welcome to the community. Help will be along very soon for you. You can also ring the helpline on the number at the top of the page here. Please hang on in there, we will support you through this..X
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @willbert welcome to the community, I am so sorry you are dealing with this added stress.  It seems unacceptable that they are not listening to your own doctor.

There is lots of info here about preparing for your PIP assessment, though I would really consider calling them again to request a home visit.  Can you speak to your GP again and ask for their support? 

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

@Debbie_Scope do you have any advice for this member?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @willbert,

I'm so sorry but I didn't see this in time. I hope that the assessment goes well today. Please let us know how it goes. 

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi willbert.

Good luck for today. Please do let us know how it goes as Debbie says. 

Also, please COMPLAIN to the assessment company for not giving you a home visit. This is wrong and they shouldn't get away with it. Your GP's letter made it quite clear that having to go to the assessment could make you worse and that is exactly what has happened. You could also refer to the Equality Act 2010 because I think the assessment company has broken the law by not giving you an assessment which takes your condition into account.

I'd also consider telling your MP what has happened. We need MPs to know how badly disabled people are being treated by this system - that is the best chance of getting it changed.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.