Tribunal :( — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal :(

Options
tiggerd
tiggerd Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, i am new to the site (joined today) my wife is disabled and after 2 home visits for PIP we had scored zero twice so asked for a mandatory what ever it was called (sorry brain fog), and got awarded low rate daily and 4 for mobility so lost the car, so took the next step tribunal.

When they sent the PIP book to fill in sent it back after i did a photocopy i noticed i had made a mistake and had put wife can walk unaided, she uses stick, i had ticked the wrong one so sent a letter in explaining what had happened, but this was ignored and the results still came back zero.

We go next Friday to our tribunal hearing, on our own and i am in such a tiz i just don't know what to do, what do i take with me for my wife.

I am sorry if confused you with my post :( 

Look forward to you advice 

Many thanks 
David 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @tiggerd

I won my tribunal appeal a month ago without representation.  Below are my tips and at the end is a link to other tips.  Also Scope have a guide to PIP tribunals - search under 'Support and information'.  Disability Rights website also has a good guide to PIP tribunals.

Don't let your wife drive herself there.  And I'd advise her to wear clothes without fastenings, flat shoes and minimal make-up and jewellery.

The judge started off by asking how my health had been over the past year and then doctor asked 'what the hospital do for me' - he meant what medication have they put me on.  Even if some of the tribunal's questions sound complex, probably they are only looking for a simple answer.

Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any appellant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances.

• tiggerd
    tiggerd Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Matilda Thank you for the reply, i did the driving as the wife don't drive, it is making me so ill thinking about all this, my own health has taken a battering. Going to have a read now and take on board the tips thank you
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @tiggerd

The PIP process is very stressful, I know.  But it was worth it all in the end for me as I won my appeal.

Another tip.  The tribunal might ask you again about stuff that you've already gone over four times before - in the PIP application form, at the assessment, in the MR request and then in the appeal application!  Very frustrating but just go with the flow.

Oh, and the tribunal are interested in what the appellant can and can't do.  So focus on what your wife can't do rather than on what she can do.

Good luck at the tribunal.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.