PIP Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

Lucille
Lucille Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,just lost my DLA after my PIP assessment. I felt the questions i were asked , i was unable to elaborate in more detail.I had 4 consultants letters, a letter from my GP who,couldn't have explained my medical conditions and how it affects me any better. I feel that i didn't get the chance to explain my day to day life as a disabled person. The questions that i thought i would be asked,never happened ! Its left me really angry and frustrated, however, i can't accept the decision and in the process of starting a mandatory reconsideration.I need help, to say the least,should i go back to my GP and explain what,s happened ?Im having further treatment from the hospital, however,didn't mention in my assessment. Feel the whole situation is a farce.Would love to hear from others who,s maybe going through, or gone through this horrible situation.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Lucille,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having with PIP. I've moved this discussion into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo and other members of the community can offer help and support.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Lucille,

I'm sure other people who've gone through this will soon respond, but I wanted to say two things.

1) ask for a copy of the assessor's report. Complain to the assessment company about how bad the assessment was and indicate how you didn't get the chance to explain your life. If you can, relate this to the PIP activities as much as possible. 

2) ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the PIP decision. Explain as clearly as you can what points you think you should have got and why - you've got plenty of medical evidence so you can refer to that, as well as your everyday experiences (they are evidence too).

Use the PIP self-test if you need to check the points you think you should have scored.

You don't have to go back to your GP as it sounds as if you have excellent evidence, but there is no harm in returning - a good GP may be willing to do even more for you, I've heard that some GPs' surgeries will even help you with the mandatory reconsideration.

The further treatment may or may not be that relevant - it really depends how it relates to the activities and what you can or cannot do.

Finally, I'd consider telling your MP what has happened. We need to bombard MPs with stories about these poor assessments if we are to convince them to change the system.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucille.

A big welcome to our website & online community.
    I am so sorry for your current problems with your DLA/PIP.
    Please please let me know if I can help with anything ???
    Your not on your own belive me !!!!!

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @Lucille:

I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. 

In addition to the great advice above, please have a look at these Community Tips for PIP Appeal as well as the PIP/DLA discussion section.

Best wishes to you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.