I am concerned about the way my son gets obsessed - how can I help him with this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am concerned about the way my son gets obsessed - how can I help him with this?

Options
Vikki78
Vikki78 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
My 15 years old son has Aspergers and becomes obsessed with things. He is starting to show an interest in girls but I am concerned about the way he gets obsessed and wondering how to help him with this 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Vicki78.

Welcome to our website & our online community.

Please please have a good look on our home page where you will find lots off info & Advisors to help you.

We also have a very active online community where you can get in contact with other people in similar situations as you which is a great way to share experiences.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Vikki78,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

There's a couple of groups here which may be of interest to you. I've moved this discussion into our Ask an ASD Advisor category, where @VioletFenn may be able to advise, but you may also find browsing the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) category useful too.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Vikki78

@DannyMoore has explained it really well, I think - the way your son reacts is probably simply down to how his brain is 'wired'. But I do understand your concerns as he grows more interested in girls - the same thoughts have occurred to me about my own 13 yr old! 

Does your son have any support workers at school or via CAMHS who help him with pastoral issues? My own son does 'Asdan' lessons which include how to manage social interaction in a way that won't make life difficult for him (because we all know how easy it is for other people to take things the wrong way!). Perhaps they have some ideas or would be prepared to work through some personal behaviour type stuff with him? 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness