Longer distance travelling on power chair - breakdown — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Longer distance travelling on power chair - breakdown

Options
mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Hi there! So the short question is:

Do you know what would happen if your power chair broke down and you were far away from home? In terms of motobility breakdown cover. 

I've been on the phone for nearly 2 hours trying to find out if the breakdown cover supplied with my motobility power chair will 'work' if I travel from North East England down to London for a day. 

I've had to use the breakdown service 3 times this last 2 weeks (long story but chair being fixed) and they have been great. One time I had a few hours to wait but they have been great on the phone and sent lovely wheelchair friend taxis to whisk me home. But I've only been local. What happens if you are further afield. 

So far I have discovered:

Outside of UK = definitely not covered (as expected) 
Inside 25 miles = 3 people in call centre THINK this is the limit for definitely being recovered 

Over 25 miles in UK?   = still a mystery! 

I'm cautious perhaps.... But after so many breakdowns I really feel I can't travel without a back up plan... 

What do I do if in London sat in a chair that won't take me anywhere? 

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
     I'm posting for your help but also because everyone I've spoken to today keeps saying they've never heard of it before.... But what does (the awesomely hillarious ) Liz Carr do when she goes off filming and gigging everywhere for example..... 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mossycow sorry we missed this! Did you get an answer in the end? I will ask on twitter for you :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness