Hi, I'm Charlotte - ask me questions about Education, Health and Care Plans — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Charlotte - ask me questions about Education, Health and Care Plans

IndependentSupportServices
IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous

I'm Charlotte from the Independent Support Service and I am here to answer your questions about Education, Health and Care Plans.  

The Independent Support Service provides free advice and support for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes.

Our Independent Supporters will offer a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to your particular needs.

I have worked for the Independent Support Service since October 2014 following the reforms to the Children and Families Act. I support parents and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans, providing information about the process, assisting with paperwork, reviewing draft plans when they are issued and signposting to other support agencies. 

My role is to enable parents and young people to ensure that their views are taken into account and that the EHCP is a document which supports children and young people to achieve their aspirations.

I can help with questions around what to expect during the process, who may be involved, how parents and young people contribute to the EHCP and how to find tools to support person centred planning. 

As each Local Authority has different paperwork and processes, I can only comment on what is in the SEND Code of Practice.

Comments

• sarahc2557
    sarahc2557 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2017
    Hi do children only recieve EHCP when they have been diagnosed 

• IndependentSupportServices
    Hi @sarahc2557

An EHCP is needs led so a child does not need to have a diagnosis to apply for or be granted a plan. The SEND Code of Practice states that:

9.3 A local authority must conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs when it considers that it may be necessary for special educational provision to be made for the child or young person in accordance with an EHC plan

Therefore if your child has special educational needs, with or without a diagnosis, the Local Authority has a duty to consider these needs.

For more information about how to apply for an EHCP in your area, please contact your local Independent Support service. You can find who provides support in your area by following the link below

https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/independent-support/where-find-my-independent-support-provider
  • jacqui120865
    jacqui120865 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Charlotte I am trying to be innovative and consider how technology could help individuals ?
    Hi @jacqui120865

The types of assistive technology available differs from area to area. A good place to start looking at what is around and what can be done is this Scope page, which has discussions at the bottom with professionals in the field who may be able to direct you to services suitable for your particular nee

https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/Disabled-people/Technology/Overview

SENDirect have some useful information on using technology to support students with dyslexia

https://www.sendirect.org.uk/information/i-need-information-on/how-to-choose-the-right-service/education-and-learning/assistive-technology-for-dyslexia/

Whizz Kidz also have some information about programmes to support different needs

http://www.whizz-kidz.org.uk/get-our-help/parents-network/getting-help-for-your-family/assistive-technology

The best place to find out what is currently used locally to you and begin a discussion about what may be missing is with your Local Offer website, you should be able to google but any problems, let me know which area you are in and I can direct you
  • kelly2016
    kelly2016 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Hi.  I have been told that physio should be in the education part of the ehcp but the school say it should be in health.  So the physio reconmendations for school to do physio 3 days a week doesn't actually have to be done as it's in health and not education part
     The school have not done no physio for 7 months      does it need to be in education part ?
    Thank you
    Hi @kelly2016

Anything that is necessary for your child to access education can go in Section F (educational provision). The only parts of the EHCP which can be challenged at tribunal are sections B (identified educational needs), F and I (educational placement) so if your son needs physio in order to be fit and capable of learning then it can go into F.

Health needs and provision, wherever listed, must be adhered to as the EHCP is a legal document. So if your son needs physio at school 3 days a week, this must be provided.

You can contact IPSEA for further legal support using the link below
    https://www.ipsea.org.uk/about/services

If you do not have an Independent Supporter, you can find your local provider here
    https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/independent-support/where-find-my-independent-support-provider

• raxa
    raxa Community member Posts: 37 Connected

I'm Charlotte from the Independent Support Service and I am here to answer your questions about Education, Health and Care Plans.  

The Independent Support Service provides free advice and support for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes.

Our Independent Supporters will offer a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to your particular needs.

I have worked for the Independent Support Service since October 2014 following the reforms to the Children and Families Act. I support parents and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans, providing information about the process, assisting with paperwork, reviewing draft plans when they are issued and signposting to other support agencies. 

My role is to enable parents and young people to ensure that their views are taken into account and that the EHCP is a document which supports children and young people to achieve their aspirations.

I can help with questions around what to expect during the process, who may be involved, how parents and young people contribute to the EHCP and how to find tools to support person centred planning. 

As each Local Authority has different paperwork and processes, I can only comment on what is in the SEND Code of Practice.

• blue63
    blue63 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi my 16yr old son is struggling to cope with the courses he has chosen and feels he has made a mistake he is finding it hard with the change of 6th form and is now wanting to go to college I don't think he will cope with college just now I am trying to tell him my reasons why but he is just having meltdowns and I am struggling  with this .
    Hi @blue63

I have answered your query on the other thread as that had more posts which you may find useful
  • blue63
    blue63 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness