Osteoarthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Osteoarthritis

crazymo
crazymo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Had to give up work in 2014 due to severe osteoarthritis and tormeniscus in knee still refusing to operate as I'm over weight in so much pain walk with crutches I am 51 and feel like 100!! Any help  pointing in the right direction would be greatly received 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @crazymo and welcome to the community.

I can fully understand your frustration. The equation is simple enough, calories eaten - calories burned = weight loss, weight gained or maintained weight. What is not so simple is how you burn the calories when chronic pain affects you being able to exercise.

You may find our Ask a Diet and Nutrition Advisor: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-diet-and-nutrition-advisor helpful.

@Sam_Scope any idea who might be able to help with the exercise side to resolving this problem? 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @crazymo
    welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ask a diet and nutrition advisor section.

Have you spoke to your GP about your weight? They can refer you for slimming classes and gym sessions.  I think because of your arthritis and surgery, you really should get some good professional advice on exercise before starting anything.

There is some info here about exercise from Arthritis Research UK.

You arent alone though, do go and see your doctor and ask for help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hello! There are many foods that help the body reduce inflammation from the inside out. 
    I am just about to see a client but tonight I will reply with anti inflammatory foods and some tips that may help you.
    what would be really helpful is if you could tell me a bit about your current diet and lifestyle.

Brightness