Some advice if possible — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Some advice if possible

Options
samparrot123
samparrot123 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
I've been waiting since Feb. for a home visit and it's happening Tuesday ,I have RA and ankylosiing sponilitis,now I've read somewhere that they will ask you how London will it take you to walk say 20 metres ,how on earth can I answer that I can't walk that far anyway ,please please can anybody help me with this answer ,thanks in advance.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samparrot123

From you have put the answer is simple - Forever! Just be honest with them, that is all you can do.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Nasmamu
    Nasmamu Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Options
    Agree with Geoark. The answers based on what you've explained about your condition is "forever" I can't stand up let alone walk so if I get asked that question I'm gonna say "I can walk the same distance as what I can fly by flapping my arms" although this could be a risk as the Assessor may put something like "claimant looks like he can fly unaided upto 200m" judging by some of the lies they seem to come out with
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The way both the Atos paramedic and the tribunal doctor put it to me was how long can I walk for - no mention of distance.

I suggest that you estimate the maximum time it takes you to walk the maximum distance you can walk.  So for example if the maximum distance you can walk is 10 meters and this can take you five or even 10 minutes then that would be a suitable answer.

Though I was asked by both assessor and doctor how long can I walk I am not aware of anyone else on Scope having been asking for how long so don't know how often this question is put. After all PIP walking is about distance not time. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have a video here on preparing for your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs 

I agree with the others, be totally honest! If you cannot walk that far at all, then say that.  There is lots of info here on the CAB site about preparing for the assessment too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • samparrot123
    samparrot123 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you all for your help

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.