PIP assessment was lies — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment was lies

Options
pinkladysammy
pinkladysammy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi have just seen this site as I have had concerns about my assessment for pip in February this year. I have multiple illnesses to many to mention.
reasing this pages has increased my concerns greatly as I have side affects from a brain illness that leaves me confused plus I has trouble hearing, I do have a career and an adult social worker and a care plan in place the lady who came to my home kept cutting across my career when he tried to explain why I was in bed that day and that I will not rennet her coming or what she said to me let's just say her report to pip or dwp was worthy of a spot on jackonory I didn't appeal it because my career was told I would loose my claim altogether but what I have seen on hear I can honestly say I didn't know who was let in to my home under the disguise of an medical professional in my field of illnesses. In my option the dwp are the fraudsters and liers they employ these people and in good faith re except then because it's the dwp a government body in place to protect the sick and vulnerable if they are employing false company's who are exploiting us and falseyfing official information and documentation in order to rod use of a good quality of life that our human right tell us we are all entitled to then they are the ones we should be dragging through the courts and media haven't the people responsible for 95 death been shown no one is above the law no matter what their job title is

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pinkladysammy welcome to the community, I am sorry you feel you have had such a negative experience.

Do you want to appeal the claim (you need to do this within a month so I believe you would have to start a new claim) or do you want to put in a complain about the way your assessment was handled?

Let us know and I can see what support and information I can find :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pinkladysammy.

Welcome to our website & online community.

I'm so sorry to hear off your ongoing problems with your pip assessment.

Please please let me know if if I can help you ??? 

Yes I have got that "T-Shirt" as well to add to my "Collection"

Get this One: "How Far Can You Walk" when I'm sat in my "Wheelchair"

"Speechless" 

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @pinkladysammy Me too. My assessor lied big time and so far she has got away with it. However I am preparing to produce a fitness to practice complaint to her governing body HCPC which I have so far not done. I have been in touch with them regarding her qualifications but not specifically about her standard of work. She falsified my Physical test results making some of them up that I wasn't asked to do and lied about me opening a bottle of water by peeling off the plastic label round the middle whilst holding it between my knees. She stated I had no cognitive impairment and I have not become a contortionist and I have so far in my life never seen anyone able to get a drink of water by taking the label off. It's high time someone took an assessor to court and brought this out in the open..
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pinkladysammy.

I do hope that you will get sorted???

Please please let us know if we can help you further with this ????
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @pinkladysammy:

I am sorry that you have gone through a difficult time.

Please let us know if there is any way we can help.
  • BigBriUK
    BigBriUK Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi pinklady

I am due for home assessment next Friday and have looked at a number of comments on here some good but more bad..I have been told by the CAB who helped me to fill my form in that I should get the high rate on both compounds but if the assessment comes back against me then I should appeal straight away with their backing..so I would advice you to appeal as it seems you have a great chance of winning...so good luck...I myself was on DLA for life till they brought this stupid PIP system in hence moving the goal posts since going on DLA I have got worse but am keeping my fingers crossed for a week on Friday its stressing me and worrying me as I live alone.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @BigBriUK you might want to watch our video on preparing for assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • FrancesW
    FrancesW Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Wildlife Great idea to take them to court, my daughter just had her PIP assessment and it was not a good experience. Pinklady appeal.
  • melbrook
    melbrook Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had my f2f and the lady said I went to tescos twice a week lol only go once a month, and miraculously my health has improved, was on the high rate for care and mobility for life which was awarded me over 15 yrs ago and now have been put on high rate for care and lowest rate for mobility, they will now take my mobility car away from me and I will end up a prisoner in my own home what a great way to finish life at the age of 67 nearly, I have been told I have to appeal but so scared
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @melbrook

I appealed and won.  65% of appeals are successful.  DWP first awarded me standard rate both PIP elements for five years.  Tribunal awarded me enhanced rate both elements with no end date.

Tribunal appeal isn't a walk in the park but not as bad as I feared.  Scope have a section on appeals - look under 'Advice and information', and below is what I posted after my successful appeal two months ago.

"Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

In addition, the tribunal drew heavily on my diary for their questions so think about your diary content if you submitted one.

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @melbrook, From my experience if you say you go to a supermarket as big as Tescos even once a month they will say you can plan and follow a journey alone on the majority of days. Doesn't matter how familiar the journey or how often you do it it's whether you CAN do it. Which descriptor did you get for the standard rate Mobility? Just a suggestion for the future to help you get the higher rate would it be possible to switch to online shopping which works out about £1 per order for delivery midweek. You wouldn't be going to tescos at all then. Good luck for your Mandatory Reconsideration..  
  • Matilda
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The tribunal asked me about about shopping journeys.  Nothing to do with planning journeys (as I hadn't claimed any inability in this category).  But the tribunal believed that driving ability per se indicates enough strength to bathe and dress in a reasonable time (which I disagree with).

Tribunal asked if I visit a supermarket  - no doubt because, if I did, this could indicate good walking ability.  Told them I do supermarket shopping online - which is the case.

@melbrook, I agree with @wildlife's suggestion that you do supermarket shopping online in future.  If you have to go to tribunal, this will prevent questions about your ability to get around large shops.

• Delver54
    Delver54 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I only had low rate care and mobility for how I'm affected within Asperger's and I had previously submitted confirmation of the diagnosis from a psychologist and a psychiatrist after a 3 hour interview in 2004 where I was assessed to have poor social skills. At the first stage interview the Atos assessor said "this interview is only to assess how your  are affected by your stroke (as detected by having an investigative MRI scan on my brain in 2017) and has nothing to do with Asperger's Syndrome. (there was an advisory memo that calling in ASD sufferers was not necessary). However I had forgotten to bring in any supporting info though prior to my Mandatory appeal the DWP admitted on the phone to still having a copy of the 2004 ASD diagnosis then referred to as Asperger's which detailed my difficulties.  Not, I might add, according to both the DWP and ATOS who upheld "mixes easily with people" presumably because this was a weak chink in their armour? I also contested this as a bone of contention in the Mandatory appeal asking how any pre-planned interview could possibly equate to a chance encounter? But all to no avail accompanied by a few Atos tweaks alleging things that are not so but that is my word against theirs. Including the assessor asking my wife questions and then ignoring her answers when my wife's role was purely to give me encouragement and support. So yes I am going to appeal. At the moment I am still annoyed from receiving the rejection letter but it will pass.
  • Delver54
    Delver54 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Sorry for posting on someones thread ... from what I have read it seems to me that Atos and the DWP have a remit to discourage claims by tweaking stuff that was never said in order that the claim be disallowed. I can stagger reasonable distances slowly, frequently tripping or falling, as walking frames themselves become more of a hazard. 0 points  for balance issues yet 2 points for washing and 2 points for bathing just a token gesture. I am not going to post their drivel here but I will cover it in the appeal.
  • Matilda
    Options
    @Delver54.

Yes, assessors either write blatant lies or play down what the claimant says in order to make them seem as little disabled as possible.  And the DWP are only too happy to rubber stamp what assessors write.

Only 16% of MRs succeed.  But 65% of tribunal appeals do - which amounts to a strong comment on assessors' reports and DWP decisions.
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Options
    I have just had a reassessment due to my condition worsening i have Cervical Dystonia Fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis with L5 Root Inpingement. I have just received my letter the assessment provider has totally made me look like a complete liar, i have been unable to walk properly since August 2017, with Cervical Dystonia and Fibromyalgia the pain has been horrendous. Apparently i can walk more than 50m but no more 200m well thats impossible for me.
    I trip over due to my cervical dystonia on a regular basis get breathless and fibro makes me so tired and in pain my back is absolutely painful. I am due to have a spinal block for injections to help my nerve inpingement in march. I feel they have totally overlooked my illnesses they actually said i have not got worse since my award 3 yrs ago. I feel really upset and angry. I am doing a MR as i feel cheated by the report.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your reassessment experience, @lindadenise- finding out that outcome must have been really upsetting for you. Glad to hear you are doing an MR, if we can be of any assistance please do let us know.
  • amandae32
    amandae32 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Really upset: I have received my medical back today and scored 0’. The assessor has lied I find it very hard to believe someone could make things up. She has lied in most parts saying I am fine basically . 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi amandae and welcome

Unfortunately we see similar stories on the forums far too often

If you can you should get help from CAB or any charity that supports your condition

If you haven't done so you should ask for a copy of the assessment report asap. You will need this to identify the areas that you need to challenge

For now you need to concetrate on showing that you meet the descriptors for an award.

Although it is important to address any issues with the assessment report or HCP, this should be done as a separate complaint to the assesment provider. It can be beneficial to mention that you are making a formal complaint

Most HCP' and DM's don't take into account the reliability factors and make their decisions on a snap shot of your life, how you were at the time.

To complete any of the descriptors you need to do so Safely, Repeatedly, In a timely manner and to an acceptable standard.

For example : If you can walk 20 - 50 metres but you can't repeat it straight away and you need to rest for some time before you can do so again then you cannot be said to complete that descriptor. Or if it takes you twice as long as an able bodied person you cannot complete the descriptor
    Dressing and undressing : If your medication takes some hours to work in the morning and you cannot dress without assisstance because of this then this needs to be taken into account

Go through each descriptor one at a time and see how these factors may apply
    You should look at each activity and break it down into sections and apply the reliability factors to each section

For example Preparing food

Can you do so ?  ( safely, realiably, to an acceptable standard and in a timely manner )
    If not, why not ?
    What is it about your condition that stops you doing so ?
    Can you do so if you have help or and aid ?
    What happens if you don't have help or an aid 

Do this for each descriptor for your MR

There is a template that you can used for the MR

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF

and some additional information

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683381/how-to-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF

You have a month from the date on your decision letter to request an MR. You can do this by letter or phone. Be very aware of this date, do not miss the deadline. If you are waiting for further evidence, then you can ask that the decision is not made until you have submitted this. They may or may not do so.

If you haven't asked for the report until now, it is unlikely to arrive before this date so make it clear that you will be sending further evidence and that they should wait before carrying out the MR until it is received.

If you can get further relevant evidence you  should submit this but it is not essential. Often, it is not your evidence that is the problem but the way it is read ( or not )

MR's can often take 8 weeks or more but may also be done very quickly and before your new evidence is received. If this happens you can ask for the decision to be looked at again taking into account your new evidence.

MR's have a low rate of success at present but this stage has to be completed in order to advance to the appeal tribunal.

There is lots of good info on this site about appeals so please have a look around

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • amandae32
    amandae32 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks she has wrote that I was wearing make up as a reason I can take care of myself ! I’m so upset . I’m still traumatised from the medical and it’s been 5 weeks . The assessor was answering questions for me and seemed really nice . I wasn’t able to answer some like the memory ones as I was too stressed and it made me feel really small 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.