I have had a PIP medical around May 2017, why do i have to have an ESA medical August 2017? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have had a PIP medical around May 2017, why do i have to have an ESA medical August 2017?

TEENA
TEENA Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have had a PIP medical around May 2017, why do i have to have an ESA medical August 2017? My PIP claim is approved.
Thanks

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TEENA welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category so you can get some advice.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @TEENA

It's because they are totally unrelated benefits with completely different criteria and you therefore need assessing separately for each.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TEENA

A very big welcome to you I do hope that we can help you further with this ????

Yes both of these benefits are unrelated to each other.

Meaning that they stand alone & both have their own criteria's.

This is why you have to have two medical's !!!!

I do hope that this has cleared things up ???

Please let us know if we can help you further ????

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello Teena - as Mary and steve51 say, these are benefits which have their own rules, assessment processes and eligibility criteria BUT it's worth bearing in mind that in some circumstances information about your claim for each benefit might be shared within the DWP, so you need to ensure that what you are saying about your condition and limitations is consistent across both benefits. While you are waiting for your ESA medical, then it's worth doing some research on the ESA points system, as it is not the same as the PIP scoring system. You need to make sure that know where you are likely to score points, and try and get some evidence to support your claim if possible. You can find excellent information on the ESA system on the benefits calculator (Turn2us) part of this Scope website, on the Disability Rights UK site, and on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk.
    Hope this helps!
    Jayne

• amo
    amo Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    I have now learn't so much from just looking through others support and help.  Mine is due for renewl to PIP in Septermber and I suffer from Anxiety Stress and Deprression and the thought of having to go through all that I scaring me just adding to my already fragile state. How do I go about getting a support worker who can be with me every step of the way as Yeovil CAB are subbish and so  not help and give support.  That is why I am truning to Scope to get as much support and advice as I can.
    Many thanks
    Amo
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi amo,

There are various sources of support in different areas depending on your condition and what type of organisation the local council fund. I can't signpost you but the Scope helpline may be able to recommend somewhere that can give you the sort of personalised support you need.

If you want to ask any questions about filling in the form etc then please do post them here.

Will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.