PIP appeal - life is a huge struggle — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal - life is a huge struggle

graham1961
graham1961 Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is graham, married have 3 grown up girls, I am 56 worked in the garage trade for 28 years until my cerebral palsy became too much for me I was medically retired at 46 due to the usual complications that happen with cp arthritis, pain, loss of balance etc. Now the dwp in the wisdom now deem me fit to go back to work. Am going to tribunal soon as so many lies were told by the pip assessor, I now find daily life a huge struggle and my wife who works full time has to help me a lot.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @graham1961 and welcome to the community.

If you read around this is a common problem with assessments. 

You can find out more about the PIP descriptors and points, plus some additional notes and a self test at https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system 

There is a good advice booklet on appealing PIP decisions at http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal?gclid=CK3SlKXIjdUCFVAQ0wodiLMBrA

PIP does not decide if you are fit for work, it provides additional financial support if you struggle with certain areas in your life. The DWP is constantly looking at restricting who can get PIP. There is a high percentage of people not getting the points needed, last figure I saw was around 80%, similar to ESA. It also has a high rate of successful appeals.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @graham1961 welcome to the community. We have some great videos on the PIP appeal process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @graham1961

Tribunals overturn around 65% of DWP/assessor decisions.  I won a PIP appeal two months ago.  

The tribunal drew heavily on my diary for their questions so, if you submitted a diary, think about its contents.

The doctor (as did Atos paramedic) asked for how long can I walk, not how far.  I still don't understand why this was asked but, in case you are asked the same question, I suggest you say it takes you x number of minutes to walk the distance  you can walk before you need to stop and rest that you put on your claim form.

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates enough ability to be able to bathe and dress in a reasonable time (which I disagree with).

I take only two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.