Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle recommendations

Options
hayleyforharry
hayleyforharry Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Transport and travel
Please can anyone recommend a medium sized wav for my son Harry. He's only two but is a big two and will not sit in a car seat well. I was thinking like caddy size. Any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks 

Hayley 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @hayleyforharry,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I've moved this post into our 'Parents and Carers' category, where other members of the community may be able to advise on wheelchair accessible vehicles.

If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We have a Berlingo - it is brilliant at the moment for us. We got a nearly new one via motability the deposit was only three hundred pounds.

There is one seat in the back, plus room for my daughter's special buggy and her wheelchair.  There are two more seats I can fold down to lie her on for pad changes. She is getting a walker soon so next time we are going to go for a caddy they look fantastic.  Got a test drive in the school holidays I can't wait. They bring them to you house for a test drive. 

When your son turns three he might be eligible for motability, is there any way you could hang on a bit as they are incredibly expensive to buy? Motability have open days where you can try all the different WAV's and they are also at the Kidz exhibitions 

The Automotive Group supplied ours via motability and they are absolutely brilliant. The adaptations are done nicely and they have great customer service. We also spoke to Jubilee in Walsal they have a lot of second hand ones for sale.  

http://automotivegroup.co.uk/nearly-new/

http://www.jubileemobility.co.uk/search-our-stock/vw/caddy/new-jubilee-vw-caddy-liberty-range/

Is his buggy or wheelchair definitely crash tested with the right restraint points? Sorry I know how hard it is, I have been there but I don't want you to make an expensive or dangerous mistake. 

I love your your profile picture, Harry is a little cutie. 

• annette18
    annette18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    We have a VW maxi caddy..had it since 2014. Really good for us as our son is a full time wheelchair user and he sits in the back with plenty of room.Also gives plenty of room for 5 other passengers meaning we can travel as a family in one car.
    We looked at lots of different WAV before deciding on the caddy especially as we knew our son's needs were often changing.

Brightness