Should I use my ESA report as PIP appeal evidence? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I use my ESA report as PIP appeal evidence?

mikej520
mikej520 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi i wonder if someone could answer a question please?
i have recently had my assesment for esa and was put in the support group for a further 3 years
i applied for pip after being on dla and scored no points so im now appealing,should i use my esa report as eveidence for my appeal?

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @mikej520,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I've moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer further help and support.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • mikej520
    mikej520 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi mikej520

Generally i would say no, you shouldn't present the ESA report to the Tribunal because ESA and PIP are two separate benefits with different tests. But if there is specific evidence from the ESA report that directly relates to the PIP criteria then it can't do any harm to include it.

I'm not sure what stage your challenge is up to, but if the mandatory reconsideration has not been done it may be worth reminding the DWP that it has decided to place you in the support group for a further three years. I'm not saying it will lead to them changing the decision but can't do any harm.

Good luck
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You may find it makes very little difference. In my case for example, both agree that I struggle reading large print. Because I also can't read Braille, this puts me in the support group. But, I only scored 4 points originally under PIP. (however, many things were completely ignored)
  • soloeuph64
    soloeuph64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I had my pip appeal adjourned yesterday as the judge couldn't understand why I got  nil points on pip but 37 on esa   she has requested a copy of the report
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    37 is indeed an aweful lot of points on ESA, I expect its very rare for people to get that many (most get SG via regulation 35 now days).  I am not surprised at the judge's reaction because for someone to get that many points they would have multiple very significant health issues.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.