Early stage help with PIP refusal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Early stage help with PIP refusal

Options
Lisa67
Lisa67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone
I need some help with regards to my 22 year old.son who suffers from CP.
He has recently had his PIP assessment and is beside himself because he has scored zero points for the ' plan and follow route of journey unaided' 
They have acknowledged that he cannot walk further than 200 metres.
He doesn't drive ( he also has nystagmus although this was never included in his original award as it was not diagnosed until he was 4 years old) so relies on willing people to run him around. At university his friends accompany him when he goes out as he falls easily and often. 
My question is... how far does 'the route' have to be? There's no way he could just leave the house and follow a route without risking falling.
I know that there are a lot of people out there in similar situations so I am hoping that someone may give me some advise.
Also how much information should I include in the mandatory appeal and is it just a matter of writing a letter or does he need to request forms to fill in?
Thankyou

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Lisa67 ,

The "Planning and following a route" measurement is assessed purely on a mental capacity basis. So they will only consider if the person knows when to turn left or right to reach the destination.

They won't even consider the person's mental or emotional state or limitations in doing this. They do it this way to exclude the maximum number of people. That's just how it is.

I'm afraid your chances of winning an appeal on that particular point are very slim.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Lisa67 The Mandatory Reconsideration is by phone and/or letter with further medical evidence. My experience of the journey was a 3 mile trip by private coach with people I know from our village just down to our village hall over 60's club together with a weekly trip 1 mile down the road to Church which they claimed I did alone (I am always taken by MOH) were counted as me being able to plan and go on an unfamiliar journey alone whenever I wanted to. Unfortunately walking does not come into it. It's based on mental ability which has to be a longstanding or diagnosed mental illness and/or a sensory problem, i.e sight, hearing etc. Unreliable walking ability is covered in the other part of the mobility criteria. Hope that helps.. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Lisa67

It is not essential for you to submit further medical evidence with your MR request - but of course helpful if you can.
  • Lisa67
    Lisa67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou for your help on this matter. 
    My son also has sight problems so it looks like I may have to use this point in the appeal. 
    Thank you once again. 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Lisa67,

We have lots of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including the following video made by one of our helpline advisors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck
    Liam
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Lisa67 Yes that sounds much more promising to get the points for planning a journey. Needless to say if you can or already have provided evidence of his sight problem that will help a lot. Good Luck.. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.