How long does PIP process take? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long does PIP process take?

Options
jkolhorn1
jkolhorn1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have sent my forms off and had a text to say it's being looked at. How long does it take for them to respond back or for an interview? My wife's claim is getting looked at for 2nd time and not heard anything. How long does both prosses take?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe the average time is around 6 weeks, but you could call them and check on the progress if you like.  The contact info for ongoing claims is 0345 850 3322 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jkolhorn1,

How are you? Have you found out any more about your PIP claim?
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi jkolhorn1 - I agree that average time is about 6 weeks, and that contacting the above phone number is a good way of getting some idea about where you are in the process. While you're waiting,it's a good idea to do some preparation in case you are called to a face to face assessment. Make sure you are confident about which activities and descriptors are likely to apply to you, and how many points you think would be reasonable for each activity. Try and think of examples and incidents which have happened to you which make things clearer for the person doing the assessment, and try and take someone with you when you go. Remember that the assessors need an idea of the way that your condition or illness affects your ability to do daily living / mobility tasks safely, reliably and repeatedly, so if you can do an activity but it takes you ages, or you can only do it once, or it impacts on your health to do it at all, then the assessor needs to know. If you can get any evidence to support your claim then that is also helpful. There are lots of internet sites that can help you get prepared, such as the DWP's own PIP 'toolkit':
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit. You can find excellent information on this Scope website, particularly from the Benefits Calculator part, and also from www.benefitsandwork.co.uk.
    Good luck with your claim!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Spurs1961
    Spurs1961 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    If they send a txt within a week what takes 6 weeks and are they medically trained 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi jkolhorn1 - I agree that average time is about 6 weeks, and that contacting the above phone number is a good way of getting some idea about where you are in the process. While you're waiting,it's a good idea to do some preparation in case you are called to a face to face assessment. Make sure you are confident about which activities and descriptors are likely to apply to you, and how many points you think would be reasonable for each activity. Try and think of examples and incidents which have happened to you which make things clearer for the person doing the assessment, and try and take someone with you when you go. Remember that the assessors need an idea of the way that your condition or illness affects your ability to do daily living / mobility tasks safely, reliably and repeatedly, so if you can do an activity but it takes you ages, or you can only do it once, or it impacts on your health to do it at all, then the assessor needs to know. If you can get any evidence to support your claim then that is also helpful. There are lots of internet sites that can help you get prepared, such as the DWP's own PIP 'toolkit':
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit. You can find excellent information on this Scope website, particularly from the Benefits Calculator part, and also from www.benefitsandwork.co.uk.
    Good luck with your claim!

Jayne
    Excellent advice but correct me if I am wrong but is it the assessor who is supposed to lead the questioning? And not the claimant?
    The reason I ask is that not all of the descriptors you will have chosen will be discussed and most assessors follow a set procedure which is governed by the software that they use and the time that they have allocated. My experience of these face to face assessments (3) is that there were no opportunities to discuss anything otherwise you would be mishearing the next question

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.