Devastated by phone call — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Devastated by phone call

Lynne53
Lynne53 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
I am in receipt of higher level I both parts of PIP. Up until September last year my husband received higher level mobility DLA.  At this point I should mention that my husband had dyslexia and dyspraxia so I do the form filling phoning etc.  When it came to changing from DLA to PIP he lost the mobility but got lower level daily living.  We should have left well all be but there were downright lies in the report. After Mandatory reconsideration he lost the living component as weA few months prior to all this I lost my dad and was finding it really difficult to cope.  I was having counselling and my GP was talking about sending me to a Psychiatrist as I had PTSD after watching my dad die.
With all this going on I still had to apply for a Tribunal for my husband.  We still haven't had this.
I have ESA and am in the work related group despite being almost 64, and being on Severe Disability allowance.
Last week, I learned for the first time that I was not entitled to the severe disability allowance as my husbands PIP was not granted. It gets worse, DWP had been informed that he has no mobility points but he had daily living points.
I know that ignorance is no defence but last week I found that we have been overpaid for several months. Consequently our income is now one third of what it was and we don't know yet about repayments. I have this going on, I have to represent my husband at the Tribunal, I am in an orthopaedic boot and on crutches waiting for my ankle joints fusing and my depression and feelings of deep loss are not lifting.  I have reached the point where we stand to lose everything, I have a sleep disorder which can be dangerous so we have to pay the bedroom tax to keep my husband safe.   We have an appointment with CAB on 10th August but I have to get out all the relevant documents and will have to do all the explaining.  I don't think I can do any of it.  Nothing is sticking in my memory, one word that touches a nerve about bereavement sets me off in tears, I don't see a way out of this message.  If I tell my husband I can't do it all he sees it as a criticism of his conditions, I don't see a way out and I just want it to stop.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    hi
    So sorry you are having such a hard time.
    You don't say how old your husband is which can be important when changing from DLA to PIP.
    If your husband has no award in payment you can .make a new claim while waiting for your tribunal.
    Have you considered applying for carers allowance ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    @Lynne53

I'm sorry about all of your problems and suggest that you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.

Don't give up on the appeal as 65% succeed.  People have gone from 0 points to enhanced rate PIP both components after tribunal hearings.  Scope have advice about appeals - look under Support and information.  As do Disability Rights and CAB websites.  Hope the CAB are helpful on 10 Aug.

Have you phoned Cruse for bereavement support?
  • barbie
    barbie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hope you get it all sorted, had my pip assessment 2 weeks ago and awaiting their decision. I live alone and live in extra care home which is expensive so any drop will cause me problems financially. Let us know how you get on and I will be thinking of you x

Brightness