Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment

Options
thedarkknight
thedarkknight Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I keep seeing on this site about pip assessors lied and other stuff , if you send enough evidence, letter , medical records etc how could they lie??

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The PIP assessment is primarily about functionality not medical conditions. The HCP's make assumptions based on observation and some physical manouvers. The whole thing is based on a snapshot of the claimants day and seldom takes into account variable conditions or the reliability factors. Undoubtedly some assessors do make stuff up others misrepresent the facts which disagree with the claimants view of the impact on their daily life
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The function of assessors is to make claimants appear to be as little disabled possible.  That is what their managers expect of them because their clients are the DWP whose purpose is to reduce the disability benefits bill as much as possible, in accordance with Government policy.

In addition, assessors, most of whom are paramedics, are medically incompetent.  They do not understand the complexities of how many medical conditions, especially mental illnesses and learning disabilities, affect people on a daily basis.  Not having a clue about how to assess such people, assessors opt for no or very low points to cover themselves.  Many of these claimants are awarded large numbers of points by tribunals.

And my assessor made a preposterous extrapolation: she wrote in her report that she observed me walk 16 metres (on a level, carpeted surface) so that must mean that I could walk 20-50 metres outdoors (using kerbs and pavements).  Tribunal changed my mobility award from standard to enhanced.

My assessor, like many, also appears to be a pathological liar.  She stated in her report that she watched me take my bag off over my head and put it down on the floor from where I later picked it up.  At no time, not even during the exercises, did I take my bag off.

So, when claimants say that assessors have lied their heads off, I believe them.
  • thedarkknight
    thedarkknight Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    That sort of stuff should be illegal to lie in assessments, for someone that you don't even know to make lies up about you isn't fair at all ! If it's going on it needs to be stopped people applying for pip have an  illness and for a reporter to listen to u and add stuff on !!! It is not cool 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The Government don't care about assessors' lies - all they want is results in the form of a reduced disability benefits bill.  However, there is the tribunal system where 65% of DWP decisions (which are based on assessors' reports) are overturned.  Despite the stress of appealing, I'd urge all claimants who received an unsatisfactory award to appeal.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @thedarkknight I read something a while ago written by an X Assessor who was brave enough to speak out that they are given targets to put so many people in each category: no PIP, standard rate or enhanced. (Although I don't think they use the last one). If they do not meet this target questions are asked of them by their superiors. They deny this fact if challenged which is easy as they deny everything else about their corrupt practices. I have now received my response from a complaint I made to ATOS back in Feb. 2017. It has taken 5 months to be investigated. Extracts of the letter are on my "ATOS COMPLAINT" discussion. It clearly shows that all that is written on reports is accepted as the truth even when the lie is glaringly obvious. My assessor said I held a water bottle between my knees and peeled off the plastic label using my left and right hand. I have tried this and found it almost impossible to do even for an able bodied person as the label is inaccessible. Also why would you do that! My husband who was sat next to me opened the screw top for me. Why did she write this? To try and show I had no problem using my hands. My complaint has just been forwarded to ICE for investigation. I will not rest till this lie is exposed and she is made accountable for her actions. 
  • jomarsh
    jomarsh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I had my assessment 3 months ago she lied about the everything nearly when she walked me out the room she could see I couldn't breath properly and told me to rest then put on the report I could walk with no problems that was just 1 pof the things. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.