Car parking at home - reasonable adjustment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car parking at home - reasonable adjustment?

Nexus27
Nexus27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
I'm new here, a little about me.  I had to give up my job a year ago because of osteoarthritis in my spine.  
I find it's a daily fight to get advice/support for disabled people.
My latest battle is with my agent; I live in privately rented accommodation and have requested a parking space from the agent; there are 24 flats and only 23 spaces, our flat being the one without a space.
I have requested a parking space as a reasonable adjustment, however, the landlord is refusing even though I have quoted the Equality Act 2010. The landlord states that the property has always been let without parking.
There is no parking nearby as the road is a very busy one.
I am in the process of applying for a blue badge, but even if I get one, it doesn't guarantee me a parking space.
I am at a loss as to what to do next; I am not entitled to legal aid and can't find anyone who might be able to help as to where to go next/what to do next.
Does anyone have and idea or advice?
Thanks.
Nex
x x x

Comments

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @Nexus27

Could you ask other flats if you could use their space?

Alternatively, you could contact your local council if you want a disabled parking bay outside your home. The qualifying criteria differ for each authority but you usually have to be a Blue Badge holder and have a vehicle registered at the address where you live. The council will look at the safety of installing a bay as well as alternatives, such as your parking on a drive. Once the local authority has agreed to install a bay, it will produce and publicise the Traffic Regulation Order. This can take months. The bay is then enforceable and will have a sign next to it stating “Disabled badge holders only”. Motorists who then park in the bay without displaying a valid Blue Badge will be liable to a Penalty Charge Notice. Please be aware that even if the bay is outside your house it does not belong to you and any Blue Badge holder can park in it.

Hope this helps, Alex
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope do you have any advice?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • 8mcmillan8
    8mcmillan8 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Biggest problem space not your own. Tried to pay for space hopeless.
    Cannot even get council to give me space  Ernest to all councillors.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Nexus27,

Sorry to learn about the problems you're having with parking. These aren't easy issues to resolve. There's some good advice in the posts above though so do explore those options.

You've requested a reasonable adjustment and now we need to work out the reason/s why your request has been denied.

The landlord may have no power to grant a car-parking space or create one for you. As you say in your post, there's 23 parking spaces and 24 flats. You say that it's really busy where you live so could it be the case that there is no room to put in an additional car parking space?
    When you signed the tenancy agreement, was there anything in the tenancy about the car parking space? If you signed the tenancy knowing that the flat did not have a parking space, there might not be much you can do. 

Let's look into it a bit more though before we rule anything out. These are complex issues so there could be more to this and it might take a little bit of research.

Happy to help further so please do keep in touch and let us know how things progress.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness