PIP tribunal Won-getting ready for Feb 18 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP tribunal Won-getting ready for Feb 18

chillitotes
chillitotes Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi

I have just won PIP at tribunal.  Went from 0 points to 12.  My award runs out in Feb 18 and I was wondering if I should ask the tribunal for the Statement of Reasons (SoR) to help me with my next application.  I understand if I do ask for them this will trigger DWP getting a copy.  They have paid my Back pay and haven't asked for a SoR themselves.

Has anyone else done this?

thanks

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Does your award end on 18th feb or is it for reveiw on that date ?
    If it is the former, then you will have to submit a new claim. You should not wait until then to submit your claim as your money will stop on that date. If your new claim is successful then you should get your award backdated
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • chillitotes
    I don't know yet, I'm still waiting for DWPs decision letter.  I was looking more for whether or not I should ask for the SoR for information if it is that I have to reapply the SoR may be useful?  I don't know what they contain
  • chillitotes
    I have already received back dated pay. I'm just preparing for the next fight
  • CockneyRebel
    certainly worth asking for SOR
  • chillitotes
  • chillitotes
    I just received the letter from DWP.  It says if your award of PIP has an end date, the decision notice from the Tribunal says I am entitled to the daily living component from 19/8/16 - 18/2/18, then I will be sent a letter around 14 weeks before my award ends, this will explain how to claim again.  No mention of a review.  Is this like starting all over again?
  • CockneyRebel
    Yes, your old claim ends and you have to start a new claim.
    Did you request the HCP reports ?
  • chillitotes
  • CockneyRebel
    HCP is the assessor that carried out your "medical "
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Chillitotes,

The thing is, is that as you rightly identify, no one knows what is in the statement of reasons, and for that reason if you don't need it (to appeal) then generally you don't ask for it.

I'd think along these lines - do you really not know why you won? Is it not simply that the Tribunal just took you at face value, believed what you said, and you therefore easily met the criteria?

If you're in doubt, and you really want them, then yes, go ahead, it's unlikely that there will be stuff to your detriment in them - the question from me is - what is really to be gained?

It's your call, and if you're mega curious then you're probably ok to request them!

Don't worry about HCP reports etc - they will all have been included in the appeal bundle for the appeal you just won, but will only explain why the DWP refused you, and are largely standardised documents anyway.

Hope this helps, and that you're enjoying your victory! Do let us know if you're still unsure.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chillitotes

I assume that an SOR is much longer and more detailed.  But at the end of your Tribunal decision letter probably there will be a briefer SOR - there is at the end of mine.  Part of this reads:  "In reaching its decision the Tribunal placed particular reliance upon the evidence of [Matilda] who gave the Tribunal cogent oral evidence today.  This was consistent with the medical evidence including the EMP report.....which shows advanced disease and the HCP MSO report (page 103)."  I assume that the latter refers to the Atos paramedic's report which I had a low opinion of.  I must dig out p. 103!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.